Talk

Advanced search

Help needed

(6 Posts)
Helark Tue 05-Nov-19 21:07:29

My daughter is 16/17months and for several months, has terrible anger issues sometimes for no apparent reason, she will hit, bite, head but herself and others and will throw and damage toys that are near by.

We have tried a firm no, and ignoring it/distractions but nothing working.

She is not walking, but she is alert in every other way.

Hv says its a girl behaviour but I'm not sure?

Any advice appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
AladdinMum Wed 06-Nov-19 09:57:20

"HV says its a girl behavior" - this is a new one for the book! With respect, do HV's actually ever give any useful advice on these type of difficult situations?

At this age frustration is typical linked to their inability to communicate their needs and wants. How is her communication? How does she communicate with you to meet her needs and to share interests with you? and by communication I don't mean her using words.

Helark Wed 06-Nov-19 10:40:47

Oh I know, I dread seeing the Hv as I honestly don't think they really have much good advice.

She communicates well, il know what she is wanting and she points to things etc.

AladdinMum Wed 06-Nov-19 12:35:44

If she is communicating well through the use of gestures. so pointing to request, pointing to share interests (like a plane in the sky), showing/giving you interesting things they find (like rocks and leaves) then it is probably just a temperament and personality issue and not concerning from a development point of view. How to manage it I am not sure, maybe others can jump in with suggestions smile

Helark Wed 06-Nov-19 15:22:12

Thankyou, yes she does that, she will point to birds and say bird, or remember things and recite them when it happens again, like if I kissed a picture of her and my son she does it etc, and says good girl when using spoon to self feed, it's just the behaviour, I worry its a behavioural problem or issue.. Thanks so much for your help.

AllesAusLiebe Mon 11-Nov-19 22:52:23

I'm bumping this one because I wanted you to know that you're not alone with this difficult behaviour. Your DD sounds exactly like my DS (14 months), so I can assure you that it isn't just a girl thing. What a ridiculous thing for your HV to say, by the way!

I'm just trying to ignore the behaviour but it's really hard because I admit that I don't have much patience. It's not working at all, though. sad

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in