Talk

Advanced search

21 month old not really talking

(2 Posts)
Glitterbomb123 Sun 20-Oct-19 08:41:43

My son is 21 months old and not really talking. He's a clever little boy - he understands almost everything I say to him and follows instructions well. Even things I wouldn't think he would understand he does! I only have to show him how to do something a couple times before he just gets it. He says a few words regularly but only 8-10. I talk to him a lot and we often have music playing that I sing to or nursery rhymes which he loves dancing the actions to and getting a round of applause at the end! He's also VERY inquisitive and watches everything that goes on around him, which I always explain to him what is happening, usually just every day things. So yeah I just wondered if anyone had children of the same age still hardley talking and at what point it did all start coming out!?

AladdinMum Mon 21-Oct-19 09:37:44

He doesn't sound very far behind, as only 8 words are expected at 18M. Does he do any animal sounds if you ask him something like "what does th cow say?" if so, all those also count as words. Speech delays are very common at this age, and by themselves are not concerning. Word 'explosions' tend to happen around the 2 year mark, so keep talking to him! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »