Talk

Advanced search

6 month baby development

(9 Posts)
Cscsbsmum Thu 17-Oct-19 19:24:19

My baby boy will be 6 months in 2 weeks time. He is a big baby (and has a big head!) I’m a bit worried about his development. He can sit with a lot of support but his head droops forward when he gets tired. He cannot roll yet and doesn’t even seem interested. He hardly bears weight when I try to hold him in standing position (although if he is crying and angry he can). He can hold his head fairly strong when I am holding him or he is sitting on my lap. He reaches out for toys and can hold toys with 2 hands. He puts everything in his mouth. I’ve also noticed his mouth hangs open quite a lot! He doesn’t like tummy time but we persevere for a few minutes several times a day- he can hold his head up for a bit, but then just puts his head down and cries to be “rescued”. He doesn’t really push on down on his palms during tummy time. He used to babble quite a bit but hasn’t really babbled at all in last few weeks. So basically he isn’t doing an awful lot! However he is very content, sociable and smiley. He sleeps 12 hours at night and has a few short daytime naps. I’m unsure if he is delayed with gross motor skills, or if he is just lazy/content, and if his size is making moving/sitting/head control difficult. Heath visitor was out last week and mentioned he was a bit behind but didn’t seem too concerned, however I can’t stop worrying about his development. Thanks in advance.

OhGodBringMeCoffee Thu 17-Oct-19 19:53:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Cscsbsmum Thu 17-Oct-19 19:59:33

Thanks for your reply. I think it’s the combination of the lack of rolling/sitting/babbling that’s worrying me. My first child was later with all gross motor skills so I suspect he will just be the same but somehow I’m much more worried this time around!

OhGodBringMeCoffee Thu 17-Oct-19 20:14:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Cscsbsmum Thu 17-Oct-19 20:44:31

Thanks, you’re probably right that it’s playing on my mind. DD didn’t crawl at all, bottom shuffled at 12 months and walked at 16 months, and apparently my husband didn’t walk until he was 2 so I suppose that’s why I’m worrying. Really need to appreciate all the things he can do and try stop worrying!

ACJD Sat 19-Oct-19 07:07:18

My 6mo boy isn't rolling either. He rolls onto side but has never fully rolled onto tummy. He has good head control too and can sit up supported. I too am worried bout him as his sister rolled way earlier than 6mo and was sitting unaided by 6mo. But then again I could dedicate all the time in the world to her. Now I have my boy and a 14month age gap I havent the same time to dedicate to floor time with him, and when I do my 21mo crawls all over us both!!

Cscsbsmum Mon 28-Oct-19 07:14:16

Yeah I think you’re right about the fact we can’t dedicate the same amount of time to them! Not sure about yours but my 2nd baby is certainly more content so maybe we need to be grateful for that! Haha. On a positive note my baby rolled last week and has managed it quite a few times since (only back to front so far). However now his sitting seems to have gone backwards and he is needing lots of support! Probably because he is now focussing on the rolling!

Lolacat1234 Mon 28-Oct-19 11:30:53

Is he a big boy? My son was so different to my daughter at 6 months, he barely rolled at all and was much more content to sit and mastered that before rolling, to the point where I never even noticed it being a milestone! He just kind of skipped it! My daughter on the other hand hates sitting, all she wants to do is get down on her tummy and roll around lol. What I'm trying to say is don't worry they all do things differently xx

Cscsbsmum Tue 29-Oct-19 19:38:20

Thank you, I’m trying really hard not to worry but I can’t seem to stop myself from focusing on all the stuff he can’t do. He is a big boy- everyone comments on the size of him! It’s not that I’m bothered if he’s last to meet all these milestones- I just wish I knew that he definitely will meet them so I know not to worry. Suppose the worry is just natural part of being a parent!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »