Talk

Advanced search

Worried about toddler

(8 Posts)
SecondTimer2019 Thu 10-Oct-19 09:40:05

My little boy is 2.5 and has been sensitive since birth. He was always the first baby to cry at classes and basically cried most of the time until he could walk.

Now he's a toddler but so many of the 'sensitive' behaviours he exhibited as a baby are not disappearing:

- wakes up crying (morning and nap)
- needs constant cuddles
- hates bottom being wiped (screams and says "no" every time)
- cries when getting dressed every time, particularly if a t-shirt gets caught on his head
- hates having hair washed / getting water on head
- won't let me brush his hair
- hates swimming (stopped going to lessons because it was embarrassing and it makes me sad to see all the other children happily complying)
- started to complain about labels in clothes
- has a tantrum or cries at nearly every transition (putting shoes on, getting in buggy, going to nursery)
- started crying/shouting at night

In all other ways he is developmentally normal or even advanced. He speaks fantastically, makes complex sentences, can count and recognise lots of letters. He likes cuddles and affection and shows sympathy when someone is hurt, etc.

We do have a new baby (now 6 months) which probably hasn't helped, and he may be getting his last molars. He's also been ill recently with colds, ear infection, etc. But this behaviour has always been present, although usually coincides more strongly with teething.

My DH thinks it's normal toddler stuff but I am really starting to worry. It also makes life extremely difficult. I have both kids at home today and he's been crying almost non-stop for various reasons so the only solution is to put him in front of the TV while I get the baby to sleep in the sling, which I hate doing

Does anyone have similar experience or an opinion on whether this is normal?
-

Dirtyjellycat Fri 11-Oct-19 06:43:37

I don’t have any advice but am pumping this for you. Do you think some of this may be linked to sensory issues?

Dirtyjellycat Fri 11-Oct-19 06:43:49

* bumping!

SecondTimer2019 Fri 11-Oct-19 09:38:41

Yes, I suppose I am worried about sensory issues, but the picture is confusing because in other ways he is fine. He loves roughhousing with his dad, going to soft play... I'm very confused.

JenniferM1989 Fri 11-Oct-19 14:22:42

SPD has recently been recognised as a stand alone condition. As in a child can have one or multiple sensory issues but not have ASC/ASD/ADHD etc.

We all have our own sensory issues as adults, like we don't like certain textures, tastes and various other things but we put these down to likes and dislikes and it rarely stops us in life. However, SPD is when you have a 'severe' reaction to one of these dislikes. They aren't just a dislike, they make you very uncomfortable.

Children can also grow out of sensory issues when it's stand alone or even when it's part of autism or ADHD but it would require some help and encouragement and tips from professionals so I would see your GP.

If his speech and development is totally fine and it is literally just these sensory issues and reactions to them, he could have SPD on it's own and just need a little intervention to help him overcome them or be more comfortable with them.

If you look up SPD, you should get some tips. Some children don't need any intervention for SPD but just assume it is sensory issues and do some research and are able to help their children on their own.

If you want a firm answer though, I would see your GP. It also could just be be a reaction to the new baby as well but looking up sensory issues won't be any harm

SecondTimer2019 Sat 12-Oct-19 08:50:55

Thanks @JenniferM1989 for the comprehensive reply. This morning he's got upset because he got a tiny bit of milk on his pyjamas, because he didn't like my hands while I was cuddling him they 'hurt') and because his socks weren't pulled up all the way.
Literally every 5 minutes something is bothering him. I'm finding it very hard to cope with.

AladdinMum Mon 14-Oct-19 10:04:58

Like you say, it does sound a bit confusing, we all have sensitivities to certain stimuli but it does sound a little extreme in your little boy's case. How was his development up-to 18M old? how was his language then? and his gesturing before he could talk? so using gestures like pointing to request items or pointing to share enjoyment like a plane in the sky?

SecondTimer2019 Wed 16-Oct-19 12:00:32

Thanks for replying @AladdinMum. He pointed at the normal time (and did it loads) and started to speak around 1. His speech now is really excellent for his age.

He's been a bit happier the past couple of days, so I'm wondering if he is just a very (physically) sensitive boy...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »