Talk

Advanced search

Do you ever shout at your child

(80 Posts)
MMG Thu 09-Aug-07 14:45:49

I feel really guilty after shouting at my 3 yr old last night.....i am sure all 3yr old boys are challenging at times especially when its time for bath and bed....i realy don`t like shouting, but last night i felt pushed to my limit. Am i really bad for shouting ??

TheQueenOfQuotes Thu 09-Aug-07 14:46:41

no you're not bad - you're human

whomovedmychocolate Thu 09-Aug-07 14:47:58

Oh well if you are bad then I am too. Kids are infuriating. As long as this isn't your only line of communication and it isn't a daily occurrence I don't think it does any harm.

Tigana Thu 09-Aug-07 14:48:22

I shout at ds, he is very nearly 2. I feel awful for doing it, but sometimes he is SO stubborn and will not listen, and I am knackered, and have at least 17 other things I could be doing rather than this...
Don't know that you arereally bad, but certainly pretty normalI woudl think.

saltire Thu 09-Aug-07 14:48:37

No - I shout. Mind you I thought I was a shouty person until I moved down here. My goodness can my neighbour shout. Last night, lying in bed 11.45, me trying to sleep and Dh watching a film when she started her screeching. DH said "who the hell is she shouting at now".

GroaningGameGirly Thu 09-Aug-07 14:49:22

Yes. You're very bad. I never shout. I am perfect.

NOT!!

Oh God, I'm always shouting. In fact, when I shouted at DD2 last night (doing arts and crafts on my sitting room carpet and treading crayon into it, despite having been warned) DD1 said "Would you like me to get you a glass of wine, Mummy?"

Quattrocento Thu 09-Aug-07 14:50:29

No. Well, yes but no.

I am a shouter too, you see. Although I do, like you, feel guilty about it.

suzywong Thu 09-Aug-07 14:52:23

yes, guilty shouter here

but MMG, 3 year old boys are button pushers of the highest level and are utterly exhausting.

They always love their mumsby bed time though, thank goodness.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 09-Aug-07 14:53:25

Yes,I shout. Both at DS (3.8) and DD (22 months). Not that often, but I do it.

mummydoit Thu 09-Aug-07 14:54:31

Yes, of course. They're children and, at times, infuriating and I'm human. They usually have to push me pretty far for me to shout so I don't see any harm in letting them know they have crossed the line. They need to know that antisocial behaviour upsets people and gains a negative reaction. If I ever feel that I have overreacted and shouted more than they deserved, then I apologise. I'm never proud if that happens but at least they'll grow up knowing parents are human too and that they apologise if they're in the wrong. As long as you're not shouting for every little thing, stop feeling guilty about it.

bubblagirl Thu 09-Aug-07 14:54:49

no your not bad i felt like that first time i shouted as thought i was ontrolled and had everything under control then i realised i didn't and ds 2.3 played me up and i shouted but i'm so much more consious of it i do still shout if i'm not in the right frame of mind to deal with it but tend to lower my tone and be more stern now or remove him for 5 mins and then explain what he did wrong i find he does as his told 90% of time now

Meeely2 Thu 09-Aug-07 15:00:26

i shout daily, but i am getting therapy for that.

Tortington Thu 09-Aug-07 15:04:06

everyday for 17years

FioFio Thu 09-Aug-07 15:04:48

Message withdrawn

sandyballs Thu 09-Aug-07 15:05:10

at GGG's DD2. Mine often mention wine as a way of calming me down, bless them. Last night they said "Mummy you sit here with a nice glass of wine and watch us play swing ball". God only knows what influence I'm having on them.

Don't feel bad, everyone shouts, kids are mega stressful. I didn't have a single shouty bone in my body before becoming a mother, nor did I drink, now I'm a fish-wifey shouty drunk kind of girl

justaphase Thu 09-Aug-07 15:13:27

I can't.... DS (22mths) gets really upset... which is bad because I am a shouty person and need to do it every now and again.

He was licking the sole of his shoe yesterday, I said "No, don't do that", he smiled sweetly and did it again. So I yelled and he came, cuddled into me and cried. Quite upsetting actually...

babygrand Thu 09-Aug-07 15:24:25

I shout all the time. (Makes them into shouty people too I know, but sometimes I can't help myself.)

Cammelia Thu 09-Aug-07 15:31:42

Only when they deserve it

Pinkchampagne Thu 09-Aug-07 15:33:07

I wish I could say I didn't, but I'm afraid I do

ladylush Thu 09-Aug-07 15:33:45

Sometimes but less now that he can communicate in ways other than being destructive. I try not to. It doesn't work either as he finds it funny.

iota Thu 09-Aug-07 15:38:07

I shout at mine, but then yesterday, just to ring the changes I told them that I was going to kill both of them and bury them under the tomato plants for fertiliser.

ladylush Thu 09-Aug-07 15:44:29

Innovative

stealthsquiggle Thu 09-Aug-07 15:46:09

iota did it work?

ElenorRigby Thu 09-Aug-07 15:46:37

Im not a parent yet (I am 40 weeks pregnant though- so nearly!)

However I have never shouted at my DP's DD...shes 4 1/2. Never got close to shouting at her tbh!!

stealthsquiggle Thu 09-Aug-07 15:47:11

meaning, of course, did they stop whatever it was that they were doing, not did it work as tomato fertilizer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now