Talk

Advanced search

Need to buy dd1 her first bra! Recommendations please.

(8 Posts)
Miaou Thu 09-Aug-07 12:18:10

She is only 10 too. But has "developed" a lot over the holidays and we don't want her to get teased.

What style is best? I did wonder about a "crop top" style but don't know if that will actually do the job (she has very prominent nipples, poor girl!).

She is also a very un-girly girl so something fairly plain would probably be best. We are going to take a trip together to try things on, but some ideas to start with would be very helpful. TIA!

titchy Thu 09-Aug-07 12:41:06

If she's only 10 presumably she is still at primary school, in which case she may well be changing in front of the whole class, so I'd go down the crop vest top route. It would be very embarrasing for her to have to ask to change elsewhere because she wears a proper bra.

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Thu 09-Aug-07 12:42:14

marks and spencer do a lovely range of 'trainer'bras called angel i think. maybe a good place to start?

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Thu 09-Aug-07 12:43:15

here

MaureenMLove Thu 09-Aug-07 12:46:55

May I suggest that you make sure you get ones that have a doble layer of fabric! M&S are, as are Matalan. The single thickness ones show through their little buds and its not attractive! Especially when they've got a school blouse on. The Matalan ones come in a set with a pair of boxer shorts type knicks too.

Miaou Thu 09-Aug-07 13:47:07

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid, Maureen - no point her wearing one if you can still see through it.

Titchy - yes I think she might be one of the first in her peer group - however this next year she is in a class where most of the pupils are a year above her so I'm hoping she won't be the only one.

MMJ - ah yes, they look like the sort of thing we need

Miaou Thu 09-Aug-07 19:58:38

Well amazingly Mackays (only clothes shop in town) came up trumps with a crop-top style bra with a double layer of fabric and a fastener at the back. She tried it on and put her top on and hey presto, it does the job! Not too fussy or girly either. And at £4 definitely comes in the "affordable" bracket.

kittylouise Fri 10-Aug-07 12:33:25

My dd (11) hates the idea of 'proper' bras; far too girly for her (for some reason she particularly loathes the tiny ribbon bow between the cups, thinks that it would show through her tops). So it has been the crop top route for about a year now, and they do the job very well and are a lor more comfy than proper bras. She is still only small so hopefully will be able to carry on with them for a while.

Strangely enough, I have found that Primark do really good crop top/knicker combos for about £3. The material is really thick so you can see nothing, and washes really well, and the fabric has got a lot of 'give' to it. I have also tried Tammy Girl but the fabric is so cheap and nasty, and they are a lot more expensive. I also hate going into Tammy because the rest of the clothes are so tarty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now