Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

getting a year old to drink from a cup...

(9 Posts)
jumbly Sat 04-Aug-07 22:04:10

he just doesn't want to. I endlessly and routinely offer him water/diluted juice/milk from a cup.. and have tried a variety of cups...are the HVs just giving me grief on this one or is my son the only child in the entire world who doesn't happily drink anything (or anything much, unless it's really hot, and then he will, which proves to me he can) from a cup at nearly a year old? help...

legalalien Sat 04-Aug-07 22:07:12

With the benefit of hindsight (and I was really stressed out at the time), just wait until he wants to - the more you make it an issue, the less likely he is to comply. There are very few 2 or 3 year olds who can't drink from a cup - provided everything else is fine from a developmental perspective - just keep offering - CASUALLY - and try not to worry about it. If he's anything like mine, he'll do it when he's ready, and not a moment before.

Beauregard Sat 04-Aug-07 22:08:21

Have you tried letting him drink from bathtoys in the bath?
My dd2(18months)can use a cup without lid but very messy,but she still likes her milk in a bottle and the rest of her drinks in sports bottle or beaker.
To be honest i wouldn't worry unless you are giving your ds undiluted ribena in a bottle at 30 minute intervals,lol.

Theclosetpagan Sat 04-Aug-07 22:08:30

Hi jumbly - My DS was a nightmare to get onto a cup - I think he was 18 months before we really made the breakthrough. All I did was just limit him to water and milk so that any dmamage to his teeth was minimal.

jumbly Sat 04-Aug-07 22:10:56

many thanks...v reassuring..i'll try and keep as cool as can be about it all...

jumbly Sat 04-Aug-07 22:14:24

mind you, ribena every 30 mins.... might be worth watching the outcome, eh? just in the interests of medical research?

Beauregard Sat 04-Aug-07 22:14:54

lol

jumbly Sat 04-Aug-07 22:24:00

hooray for saturday nights on mumsnet...all is not lost...quite!.....

halogen Mon 27-Aug-07 21:19:56

If he'll drink hot drinks, why not just give him hot drinks?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now