Talk

Advanced search

DS3 breastfeeding all night - not enough milk?

(5 Posts)
cantstopstressing Sun 11-Aug-19 20:11:38

DS3 is nearly 14 months and a lovely happy baby who generally eats and sleeps well. I caveat that by saying he sleeps with DH and feeds very regularly/what seems to be constantly during the night. He is exclusively breast fed and, since I went back to work when he was 10 months, just feeds morning, evening and all night. When I first went back to work I did express but he refused to take a bottle so I gave up so he does not have any milk during the day (9-7, Mon to Thurs) but does eat well and have water to drink. He used to feed 3-4 times during the night which was fine as we co-sleep so quite easy to have him latch on and off. However, during the last few weeks, he wants to be permanently attached to me at night and goes crazy if we try to stop him. He used to take a dummy but now refuses and I end up giving in which means I barely sleep and my nipples are very sore. Does anyone have any ideas how to address? I wondered if perhaps he is hungry as he is not getting any milk during the day but it does seem to be more about comfort than anything else.

OP’s posts: |
cantstopstressing Sun 11-Aug-19 20:12:33

Sorry, that should read that he co-sleeps with DH and I, not just DH!

OP’s posts: |
NoKnit Sun 11-Aug-19 21:32:42

At 14 months he should also be eating food and not exclusively breast feeding?

NoKnit Sun 11-Aug-19 21:36:06

Ah read and saw that he eats well, if that is the case you don't need to worry. Why don't you just stop breastfeeding altogether if that is the case? The start might be tough but he'll get used to it. Only if this is what you want, not to be disturbed all night and the soreness that is

KateWrong Mon 12-Aug-19 08:06:30

My son was like this, feeding throughout the night. It was particularly bad when he was unwell or teething or going through a growth spurt. I night weaned him at 2, which worked great for us. Maybe you could look into that, but according to The Milk Meg, it’s not recommended to night wean before 18 months.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in