Talk

Advanced search

Sulking with my toddler

(7 Posts)
maroonpink Thu 08-Aug-19 07:33:46

Daughter is amazing sleeper. She has hit 18 months and had a mega tantrum before bed lasting a while because we thought she was sick. She was screaming. I dont want to look at her this morning. Is my behaviour normal. I don't like her at the moment.

OP’s posts: |
MyHeartIsInCornwall Fri 09-Aug-19 21:12:33

Hi maroonpink.

It’s so hard when they have a change in behaviour, particularly when they are usually so easy to settle and sleep at bedtimes. Tantrums are part of kids learning boundaries. They are frustrated at this age and can’t really tell you why.

Your reaction is extreme but understandable. We become quite irrational sometimes when it becomes to our DC’s behaviours. It’s all perfectly normal for tantrums, unfortunately. I hope she has settled better tonight and it was one-off. ‘Fingers crossed’.

SmartPlay Sat 10-Aug-19 12:05:05

No, this behaviour is certainly not normal! I think it's fine to be pissed off at a small child for a little while (meaning a few minutes), but what you write is just sick. Sulking for 12+ hours and not liking her because your 18 months(!) old toddler had a tantrum? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you!? That poor baby!

maroonpink Sun 11-Aug-19 09:05:54

@MyHeartIsInCornwall she did settle thank you. I was just upset because I had a big day and needed sleep more than ever that day just typical 🤣

maroonpink Sun 11-Aug-19 09:07:13

@SmartPlay i'm not the one swearing on a public forum. I came on here for support not ridicule. You should be ashamed of yourself , have you no one up on your high horse you can bully ?

SmartPlay Sun 11-Aug-19 11:13:45

You asked if your behaviour was normal, and I answered.

But yes, using swear words in a public forum is of course so much worse than emotionally abusing your baby!

AMAM8916 Sun 11-Aug-19 14:40:51

Hi. No I don't really find it normal to be off with your 18 month old for having a rare tantrum and not letting you get much sleep.

If this one situation is making you 'sulk' I suggest you address it asap as you're in for a good few more sleepless nights due to the almost monthly colds they get when at nursery, when the bad dreams start and when the 'I can't go to the toilet on my own' thing starts.

I don't think you're a bad mum for feeling this way or wrong, I just want to answer you and say no it's not normal to sulk.

Maybe you need to read some books on toddlers behaviour so you know what to expect? It was probably a shock to your system having a previously good sleeper then all of a sudden having this massive tantrum to deal with and not much sleep.

Preparing yourself will help

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in