loader

Talk

Advanced search

constant chewing on things

(17 Posts)
southeastastra Wed 01-Aug-07 20:39:15

how can i stop my son doing this? any suggestions

Desiderata Wed 01-Aug-07 20:41:17

You can't, gorgeous! It's what they do. My ds is now 2.9 and I still find teeth marks in everything.

I work on the theory that they need to, so just make sure that everything within chew reach is non-destructible <or non-important>.

southeastastra Wed 01-Aug-07 20:41:41

yes but he's nearly 14

Desiderata Wed 01-Aug-07 20:44:26

He he he!

Buy him lots of rubbers .. and I really do mean erasers

Hassled Wed 01-Aug-07 20:45:49

It's a comfort thing - my oldest 2 did it until quite old (10 or 11?) but not at 14. Jumper sleeves, hand controls, hair, pencils - anything at all. It will probably stop when he becomes embarrassed about it - afraid that someone at school will spot him doing it etc. You could gently point out the likelihood of this happening, and the teasing that may follow, and then agree a plan whereby you are allowed to nag everytime you see him chewing. It's tough being 14 - it's just a nervous habit that he's got into - I shouldn't worry too much.

southeastastra Wed 01-Aug-07 20:48:12

yes that makes sense hassled. i have thrown away so much chewed lego and felt tip pens.

JudgeyMcJudgeson Wed 01-Aug-07 20:49:41

I know someone who did this even as adult - he used to chew or eat everything. Turned out it was actually a medical problem. But I mean everything used to go in his mouth.

Most likely is a nervous habit. Is he doing it unconsciously? Maybe then he just needs constant reminding that he's doing it. And maybe something to hold (nasty tasting) so that he can't chew without realising and breaks the habit.

southeastastra Wed 01-Aug-07 20:54:36

i can't understand how he can chew so much stuff, lego is his favourite though at the moment . i'm getting fed up with the amount i end up throwing.

what was his medical problem judgey?

JudgeyMcJudgeson Wed 01-Aug-07 21:15:10

he had a rare form of anaemia.

He ate a set of bunk beds over the space of several years and tehy had to be thrown away as they were too unstable.

He ate wallpaper as a child, every book he owned was missing pages, he ate everything he got his hands on.

JudgeyMcJudgeson Wed 01-Aug-07 21:16:34

The way I understand it it was a bit like pregnancy cravings.

His body was lacking certain things and so craved eating practically everything around him (though plastic and wood/paper was favourite).

southeastastra Wed 01-Aug-07 21:17:55

that's pretty scary. my son is a very picky eater too

aloha Wed 01-Aug-07 21:19:04

My ds is a chewer. He has Aspergers.

Desiderata Wed 01-Aug-07 21:42:56

I didn't realize when I made my post that your son was 14, btw. That's a whole different kettle of fish.

I think both Hassled and Judgey have made some good points.

southeastastra Thu 02-Aug-07 08:25:46

i wasn't very clear in the op desiderata . he does chew a ridiculous amount of stuff.

pointydog Thu 02-Aug-07 08:32:41

dd1 is a chewer likeher dad before her.

Although she's pretty much unaware she's doing it, she was aware enough tio stop chewing dd2's polly pockets and barbie shoes when we told her she just HAD to stop ruining her sister's toys.

Who owns the lego? Can they threaten him?

southeastastra Thu 02-Aug-07 08:43:17

it's his own lego, but it's sometimes the expensive star wars stuff also my lovely alarm clock got bitten as it has a rubber surround.

pointydog Thu 02-Aug-07 08:48:27

Get him to give awa y the lego. Or sell it on ebay and he can keep the cash.

Then he can buy you a new alarm clock and a packet of rubbers with his earnings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now