Talk

Advanced search

5 month old - head leans to BOTH sides

(4 Posts)
DoodleSketch Thu 01-Aug-19 00:03:18

Hi folks, first post.

My DS turns 5 months tomorrow (he was born at 37wks).

His head still isn’t steady, however curiously he goes through bouts of leaning only to one side.

For example, he can lean exclusively to the left for 2 weeks, then wake up one morning and lean exclusively to the right for the next week or two.

During these periods he’ll have degrees of head control, being able to hold it in the centre at points, but when he gets tired it’ll quickly go back to whichever side is dominating.

We’ve had a couple of appointments with the paediatric physio, however she said his muscles appear ok, no tightness/Torticollis and good muscle tone over the rest of his body. She said some babies just develop at different rates, that he was young and the head control would come.

She felt he was ‘doing everything else he should be doing at this age.

I asked if it’s just a matter of his neck needing to strengthen, why would it lean only to one side for a week, then suddenly switch to the other side for another week or two?

She couldn’t give me an answer for that.

I asked about potential ear/eye problems and whether they could affect DS head balance in this way and she pointed out both his eyes and hearing would have been tested in the first month of his life.

Doing a bit of a Google (I know) Benign Paroxysmal Torticollis appears to cause similar symptoms, but it wasn’t something the physio mentioned.

I’ve got a private physio booked for tomorrow, as I felt a second opinion might be worthwhile.

Anyway, apologies for the long post, really I’m just wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms with their little ones?

OP’s posts: |
surreygirl1987 Thu 01-Aug-19 21:16:28

My first thought was BPT too. There a a Facebook group for parents of BPT kids that can probably be more helpful than mumsnet. Hope your LO is okay!

DoodleSketch Fri 02-Aug-19 10:41:19

Thanks so much for the suggestion, it didn't even occur to me to look on Facebook for a group, but having had a quick peek it seems really useful to find out more about that particular condition.

To follow up on my original post, we had a lovely private paediatric physio out yesterday, and I feel she was more thorough than the first.

In addition to his head tilt, she noticed he does have some other developmental delays, he isn't really reaching for toys and can't yet push up with his arms during tummytime. He will grab stuff with either/both hands and stick it in his mouth, but when holding a toy above him, he doesn't really go for it yet.

She feels these could both be direct results of his head tilt, that babies learn by getting their symmetry and our DS tilt knocks him off symmetry (his shoulder raises and back curves, dependant on the side his head is tilting too).

We're now getting a referral for some additional tests to get to the bottom of it. Keeping our fingers crossed.

OP’s posts: |
surreygirl1987 Fri 02-Aug-19 16:44:12

My boy had torticollis (not bpt but as a result of an aggressive ventouse delivery and had a neck tumour for a time). He was quite delayed in a number of areas. Tilting does cause delays as the baby has to work against the misalignment. However, lots of physio has meant that he has caught up. Despite the fact that he also has hypermobility he has recently started crawling! But don't be surprised or too worried by slow development - it is common with a tilt. Obviously my son's situation is different to yours but hopefully it will get resolved in time. Glad the fb group is useful!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in