Talk

Advanced search

Bizarre question, but does my 1yo DS NOT watch enough TV????

(16 Posts)
eenybeeny Wed 01-Aug-07 08:49:36

I have a little boy who will be a year next week. Every now and then I have childrens tv on in the house and he sort of watches it while he plays but he doesnt recognise any of the characters or like a particular show.

My friend's DS is only 4 months older and he is obsessed with all sorts of different childrens tv characters. Also BTW we only have the 5 basic channels so dont get cbbc or anything.

I am starting to worry Alex is missing out by not watching childrens tv?????????? I know this is bizarre as most of the time you worry if your child watches TOO MUCH tv but there you go. Will he not have enough in common with his peers? Is it a pleasure I am denying him? Sorry if I am overthinking this but its just been bugging me. Spiderman, numberjacks, etc none of them mean anything to Alex.

mistypeaks Wed 01-Aug-07 08:53:28

He is obviously well entertained by you!!! My DD1 was never interested either, she is now though and its quite sweet if she recognises a character when we're out and about. DD2 runs up to the tv and cuddles it!!(the shame when we go to someone elses house). Mind you she also cuddles the fridge. I wouldn't worry by the time he's old enough to have peers he'll be more interested.

Anna8888 Wed 01-Aug-07 08:55:34

Your little boy is just fine. Being obsessed by children's TV characters is not a particularly desirable trait in a 16 month year old child IMO

Nemo2007 Wed 01-Aug-07 09:03:42

Not missing out at all, if anything he will catch up as he gets older..enjoy it while he doesnt whine for certain toys etc. My ds is nearly 4 and could tell you characters in shows he hasnt even seen but just seen advertised. DD1 is 19mths and now recognises in the night garden characters but it is by far her favourite programme etc.

mm22bys Wed 01-Aug-07 09:13:21

My DS1 at one year old watched NO TV, then when he was 2.5 we got some Baby Einstein videos for his baby brother...BAD mistake, now DS1 is obsessed with them, and it's all he wants to do...

I honestly don't think your son is missing out, he's got plenty of time!

Judy1234 Wed 01-Aug-07 09:31:13

I thought most parents int he UK don't let young children at least of that age watch TV which is probably wise.

Leati Wed 01-Aug-07 09:39:12

eenybeeny,

I thought I would be clever and show by DD a spongebob video game on the Nick website. It was a really simple game where you click the mouse to pop imaginary bubbles. She is only 18 months and runs arounds saying "sponge bob" now.

Seriously, TV is not a good entertainment for young children.

speedymama Wed 01-Aug-07 09:41:11

My DTS are 3yo and watch no TV. They do watch selective DVDs like Winnie the Pooh or Thomas the Tank Engine but that's it. Interestingly, if we put the TV on, they turn it off.

Consequently, since Sunday, DH and I have watched 1 hour of TV (CSI Miami last night).

eenybeeny Wed 01-Aug-07 10:04:16

thanks for your thoughts. You are making me feel less of a freak for not having the tv on all the time !!!

coppertop Wed 01-Aug-07 10:14:21

I have 2 children who were fascinated by the television when they were babies/toddlers and a 16mth-old who doesn't even look at it, never mind watch.

MaloryTheExciterTowers Wed 01-Aug-07 10:16:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anniemac Wed 01-Aug-07 10:28:27

Message withdrawn

inamuckingfuddle Wed 01-Aug-07 10:33:24

my DTs didn't watch any tv til they were about 2 and then only dvds really, with the occasional bi tof cbeebies, now they're 3.7 they ask to watch it sometimes, and I don't have a problem with it as it helps them chill out a bit and gives me a bit of space, but it is timed - they use the clock in the sitting room and turn it off at half past/o'clock as they can recognise this (and of course the clock can always be tampered with by me so that the end of the prog is always on the hour/half hour )

HonoriaGlossop Wed 01-Aug-07 11:30:08

It's common I think not to be interested. Give him time, he WILL be

My ds didn't watch TV at all at this age. When he was nearer two we had three of the BBC2 cbeebies programmes on in the morning and he would sit and watch those but that was IT for the day. He never asked for it on.

The research says that TV is not good for under two's anyway, so be pleased that your ds is making keeping to that easy for you!

florenceuk Wed 01-Aug-07 11:47:40

DD wasn't interested in TV until very recently (Charlie and Lola!) I think it is a developmental thing - up until recently she just couldn't follow a story (even a book) and hence lost interest very quickly.

Lizzer Wed 01-Aug-07 12:04:47

Its a GOOD thing he's not interested! I get a bit scared by my friends dd who will sit for hours passively watching teletubbies et al. Its a drug I swear! Also she's not making any attempt to move, crawl, pull herself up etc at 13m.

My dd didn't not have time to sit still and watch things for longer than 30secs at that age - she just had so much to do, so many things to pick up, chew, throw,poke,bang, crawl under, over, through.so I think its prfectly normal and preferable behaviour imo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: