Talk

Advanced search

When did your baby start crawling?

(21 Posts)
IcingOnTheCake Mon 30-Jul-07 11:37:37

My dd is 9.5 months and she is not crawling and people make those comments about it. I know babies all do things at different stages and some babies don't crawl but i am starting to feel bad about it. If i leave her with her toys and go out the room she cries in temper because i have gone and she can't follow me. I think she is getting frustrated that she can't reach certain things too.

IdrisTheDragon Mon 30-Jul-07 11:39:06

DS started cralwing at 8.5 months.

DD started moving (definitely not crawling ) at 10.5 months). She di a weird sort of shuffling movement that I can't describe, but worked for her.

They both started walking at 15 months .

stealthsquiggle Mon 30-Jul-07 11:40:55

Oh FGS - people will always find something to comment on, won't they! DD is 9.5mths and is just (last couple of weeks)starting to crawl - I know plenty of others who were 11-12mths and some even later / didn't ever crawl and went straight to walking.

On the other hand, she has only very recently got her first 2 teeth - so I get the "hasn't she got any more teeth yet?" comments - as I said, there is always something!!

IcingOnTheCake Mon 30-Jul-07 11:43:04

I'm lucky with teeth because she has the two bottom and top ones and two more are coming through at the top so very soon she will have six teeth!

mistlethrush Mon 30-Jul-07 11:43:37

Make the most of it! Ds late crawler - started cruising at the same time, walking at 14.5 (when he first walked on his own, he was up to running round the kitchen table - obviously wanted to be able to do it properly or not at all).

Don't worry about it, just fewer places they can get into trouble!

expatinscotland Mon 30-Jul-07 11:43:58

DD2 never crawled. She bum shuffled. Then she walked.

MeAndMyMonkey Mon 30-Jul-07 11:45:35

3-legged wierd spider crawl at 6 1/2 months, crawled at 7, is now standing up at 8. Does it really make any long term difference though?

IcingOnTheCake Mon 30-Jul-07 11:48:32

I am due for a development check with the HV soon and i know she is going to make me feel really bad like she did last time.

IcingOnTheCake Mon 30-Jul-07 11:49:19

Obviously dd is due for development check, not me!

stealthsquiggle Mon 30-Jul-07 11:50:19

bad bad HV!!

Bugger. Must call and check when DD was supposed to have her HV check - ages ago I am sure

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 30-Jul-07 11:52:39

DS1 never crawled - in fact he never really "moved" anywhere until he was well over 1yr old (walked at 18 months)

DS2 was crawling at 7 months, I found him on the 3rd step at 7 1/2 months and walked at 10 months.....

Dread to think when DS3 will start

IcingOnTheCake Mon 30-Jul-07 11:53:49

Oh yeah my HV is a troll! This isn't a routine development check, it's one she made because she wasn't happy with my dd at the 8 month check.

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 30-Jul-07 11:54:41

Ny DS is nearly one and still hasn't started to crawl - he rolls around on the floor randomly, although he can't get to where he means to go to! Last time I saw the HV and doctor they both said not to worry and if he's still not crawling/cruising by the time he's about 13 months to go back. He hasn't got any teeth either so I know what its like to have people asking about it all the time - I feel as though he's late for everything and its hard not to worry.

ThursdayNext Mon 30-Jul-07 11:58:06

Never, wasn't mobile till he walked at 14months. He wanted to walk around holding a finger all day from about 11months, hurts my back just thinking about it.
Seem to remember he had a development check at 9 months and the HV was not at all interested in his lack of crawling. It's pretty common to skip the crawling stage.
I think late/no crawling is easier in some ways, cause they can't get into as much trouble, but harder in others cause you need to play with them and cart them round more.
Certainly got a fair few comments when DS was 12/13 months and still not mobile!

MeAndMyMonkey Mon 30-Jul-07 11:58:48

Forgot to say try not to worry - I don't think it really matters as most babies catch up one way or another... plus it's easier for parents if they don't crawl/walk... I can't get anything done!
Size of baby is sometimes a reason - I think bigger babies take longer to be mobile, it could just be as simple as that?

ThursdayNext Mon 30-Jul-07 11:59:00

Why was she worried, Icing?

stealthsquiggle Mon 30-Jul-07 12:00:18

That's why the , icing - DD hasn't had her 8mth check!!

Quote lots of MN examples at your HV - is it just crawling or is she worried about other stuff?

of the teeth, BTW - although DD managed to bite me really hard with the two she does have the other day - and then burst into tears when I said "ow"!!

fibernie Mon 30-Jul-07 12:01:20

13months! She's only just now starting to walk at 19months. Don't worry..

mm22bys Mon 30-Jul-07 12:05:32

I've decided that the people who feel it necessary to comment on what other people's babies are doing are the ones with the problem.

Ignore them.

Your DD is fine, if you ARE worried, see you HV, and if she is a troll, see your GP.

Even if there IS a problem (which I am not saying there is!) there are assessment / development teams that can help (just going down that route now with my DS who is doing precisely nothing at 8 months!).

christywhisty Mon 30-Jul-07 12:11:22

DS would go through a very frustrated state just before any developmental breakthroughs.

He was exactly like your DD just before he comando crawled (pulled himself along the ground by elbows)at about 8 months He then never crawled properly and walked at 10 months.

merryberry Mon 30-Jul-07 12:24:16

mine never crawle4d. sort of punted himself from about 11 months old, walked at about 18 mths is memeory serves

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: