5 year old's bad behaviour at school (Reception Year)

(5 Posts)
tashtyler Tue 16-Jul-19 15:41:04

My 5 year old daughter is misbehaving at school and I just don't understand where it stems from. I'm not going to lie, she is not perfect all the time but the issues we are having with her at school do not reflect her behaviour at home. It seems a lot more angry and aggressive.

OP’s posts: |
soniamumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Jul-19 10:17:45

Hi @tashtyler, we're just bumping this thread for you in the hope that some Mumsnetters will be along shortly with some advice. flowers

Helix1244 Sun 21-Jul-19 00:26:48

Well there's a lot more kids in a small space there. Does she have siblings?
Much more chance of another child annoying or purposely windimg up at school. It's worst at startt and end of terms. Nerves then tiredness.

pikapikachu Sun 21-Jul-19 14:22:09

Have you asked her? My dd needed lots of support at home with playground issues and we did a lot of role play like what to do if someone doesn't want to play with you, how to deal with someone being mean to you. There's obviously less supervision compared to the classroom and in the last term of Reception they were allowed to go to the big kids playground so potential problems galore. Is your dd confident enough to tell an adult what happened ? I can imagine very shy people being taken advantage of because they won't /can't tell the teacher what's happened.

yukuo Thu 25-Jul-19 02:00:54

Agree with @pikapikachu. I'll also try to find out from her first.

I recently read this excellent book about how to get our kids to say "Yes" from Dr Daniel J Siegel.
bit.ly/2Y6KDaX

Following the principle of the book, I would say next time when it happens again, wait till she calms down (move to green zone), then try to get her to talk and find out the real reasons of her behavior in school. Roleplay is a good way to do it if she cannot articulate why she is angry in school.

Hope it helps.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in