Has your child been diagnosed with adhd or asd

(5 Posts)
WhoKnewBeefStew Sat 06-Jul-19 11:32:46

We're finally at the stage where our dd will likely get to see a paediatrician for possible adhd or asd. The small steps team seem to think she will be diagnosed, as her symptoms and behaviour are very extreme.

If you've been in the same situation, once diagnosed did it make a big difference? How quickly did you see improvements?

We've been through years and years of hell, to the extent, it's affecting my mental health, her sister was withdrawing from family life, she's been excluded from school and now has a place in a special school for children who have experienced trauma and attachment issues (she's adopted).

I'm just hoping we will start to see light at the end of the tunnel - she's 7

OP’s posts: |
Dirtyjellycat Sun 07-Jul-19 17:20:05

I don’t have any experience of this OP but just wanted to say that it might be worth visiting the adoption board on here as well. Others might have experience of similar issues.

PSL1990 Sun 07-Jul-19 21:53:27

@WhoKnewBeefStew could I ask you a question, I'm sorry but it doesn't really help you with your questions. What was your child like as a baby? We're there any signs of adhd in her first year (in hindsight!)?

WhoKnewBeefStew Sun 07-Jul-19 22:02:51

We adopted her at 21 months so no experience of her as a baby as such. But the foster caters said she'd always been very 'full on' and 'always on the go' as a small child we always tended to look on this as a positive, and cute. But the older she got the more disruptive this 'always on the go, and full on' became.

OP’s posts: |
AladdinMum Mon 08-Jul-19 11:59:16

I do agree that she needs to be seen by a development paediatrician. However it is interesting how you said that it's either ASD or ADHD as these two conditions, specially in a 7 year old, would present very differently - if she has one of them it would be very obvious which one it is. However, co-morbidity is possible where both are present and hence it complicates things when it comes to diagnosis. Diagnosis does not change much per se, but it allows you to access support and portage services to help with behavior, language, social skills, etc, however, if she is already in a special school then that school might already be providing these services. It is a tough one, but having her seen and potentially diagnosed by a development paediatrician is the best course of action I think.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in