Talk

Advanced search

7 month old gets hysterical in pushchair

(12 Posts)
stingray Fri 27-Jul-07 13:01:03

My 7 month old daughter has hated being in her pushchair since birth.It started with her pram, she would cry until she was sick.My mum said she is a nosey baby, put her in a pushchair so she can see around her.So we bought her a pushchair,same result.I take my 9 year old to school every day its a journey of 15 minutes there and 15 minutes back. and she either screams her head off or cries loudly .I cant even think about going shopping with her in her pushchair,and so have become a virtual prisoner.She is absolutely fine in a baby carrier,which i do use a few times a week,but as she is getting too heavy and i also have arthritus in my back I try to keep it to a minimum.the pushchair is bedecked with toys to try and keep her amused ,but no luck.Any ideas before i go slowly mad.

coleyboy Fri 27-Jul-07 13:03:35

Does the seat face you? Maybe she feels insecure if she can't see you?

yama Fri 27-Jul-07 13:35:31

Sorry no advice. I also have a spinal condition and have to be firm about not picking my DD up too much (now that's she's a heavy toddler) and definitely can't carry her for any distance. Maybe she will get better in time.

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Fri 27-Jul-07 22:50:53

Are there too many toys and she's feeling over faced? Is she too hot / too cold? Do you have her lying flat or upright? Do you use a dummy and if so, she may want that in the pushchair. Has she had a bad experience in the pram when she was small? Oh dear how frustrating for you!

terramum Sat 28-Jul-07 12:28:59

What kind of carrier were you using? A lot of the more commercial ones are really bad for you back. The more traditional slings & wraps are kinder to your back. Try here for some info:
http://www.slingmeet.co.uk/

geekgirl Sat 28-Jul-07 12:31:36

does she face you?

also, <whispers> - my life was transformed when dd1 was old enough to hold eat a biscuit whilst sitting in the pushchair

Sakura Sun 29-Jul-07 14:15:00

My baby just refuses to go into the pushchair too. Bit of a nightmare.
Sometimes, I run with her in the puschair and sing and run and sing and she`ll eventually settle into it (until I make eye contact with her). Or I tip it back so its like a "cradle" and rock her in this position until she seems settled enough and I can start walking.
I have bad scoliosis, and it is painful, but a sling wrap really spreads the weights accross my back, hips and shoulders and you can keep adjusting it until it feels good. So I mainly put her in the sling, and then my bag in the pushchair!

elesbells Sun 29-Jul-07 14:21:05

my dd is 16 months old and refuses point blank to sit in a pushchair. she has been like it since birth. ive tried everything from seat pads to new buggies and even leaving her to scream.

ive just accepted that she doesnt like it. its not practical though carrying her around everywhere, she's heavy, but anythings better than the screaming.

rufusmacdoofus Sun 29-Jul-07 14:30:01

Mine hates it too. i have the baby bjorn active carrier which is not too bad on your back and a soft cloth sling which is really nice , she loves that too. Is she big enough to go in a back pack ? apparently these are much better as all weight on your front. someone recommended them to me as her dd is so high up she is happy she can see everything. with my dd - she is just too nosey and wants to see what is going on. I am sure you just have a bright inquisitive baby, but that doesn't help much does it. My pushchair has cobwebs on it ! best of luck xx

morningpaper Sun 29-Jul-07 14:35:50

bad luck, mine have both been the same

what I hve found works (not perfectly but better) is using an old-style pram which allows them to sit up independently and not be strapped down (shhh)

a bit like this

I also had to remove all wind sheilds/rain covers or they would FREAK

First one MUCH preferred facing me rather than the street

morningpaper Sun 29-Jul-07 14:37:26

p.s. and it is ok to be at all the mothers with their babies who are ASLEEP when they go shopping rather than screaming hysterically all the way around town

stingray Mon 30-Jul-07 15:32:22

Thankyou all for your suggestions,I am thinking of trying a pushchair that faces me.I think i will go into mothercare and wander around with her in there and see how she is before buying one.As for having her lying down,we have tried that, also i have tried toys on and toys off,same result.I am thinking of buying a primaxx sling which enables you to carry baby on your hip.I too have looked longingly at every baby laying quietly in its pram or pushchair and wanted the same peace to get on with my journey or shopping.It drives me mad when every person i walk past feels the need to make a comment,im suprised I can reply through a jaw clenched so tight its in danger of shattering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now