Baby holding their head

(4 Posts)
newmomof1 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:04:43

When did your baby start holding their head up unaided?

OP’s posts: |
MRex Mon 17-Jun-19 13:13:52

He was relatively steady from about a week old and holding his head upright wellduring winding etc from 2 weeks. He was breastfed and I think breastfed babies hold their heads earlier because the feeding helps them get there, with bottles the babies can get away with being a little bit lazier having their milk. One friend's baby was nearer 4 weeks and another was having a few issues favouring one side still at near 6 weeks so she went to a baby cranial osteopath, the baby had some stiffness from a difficult birth but it got sorted out very quickly.

Is there anything in particular that you're worried about? The children's centres here have health visitors every week who can check the baby to tell you if something is within normal range or not (as well as weighing etc). If you have money to spend there are a couple of osteopaths who do weekly new mother clinics (£8 including tea, biscuits, 5 min massage for mum, 5 min massage for baby and lactation consultant); worth googling your area.

newmomof1 Mon 17-Jun-19 15:58:48

Thanks so much for the detailed response!

I wasn't worried about LO - she's a month old and really good at supporting her head and has been for a while.
A few family members and friends have commented about how surprised they are and I was just wondering what was 'normal' smile

OP’s posts: |
MRex Mon 17-Jun-19 19:37:55

Great!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in