Talk

Advanced search

1 year old sleep training

(4 Posts)
Natasha92 Thu 13-Jun-19 16:47:21

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help.. im a newbie on here and need some help on sleep training my 1 year old. Yes I've probably left it slightly late but he has always been a good sleeper but for the passed few weeks he is hating his cot and coming into our bed, at first I put it down to teething but now that hes used to it, he just expects to come into bed with us and literally screams till hes in our bed. I can put him to sleep just fine, in my arms but as soon as hes in his cot he will cry, I cant spend my evenings in the room with him so I'm willing to try sleep training methods but I wanted to hear from any mums who have tried anything and it's been successful?

OP’s posts: |
Peanutty86 Thu 20-Jun-19 09:07:57

It can be as successful as you want it to be. It's hard, it's heartbreaking to see them cry but imo it's worth it as it helps them sleep better. The main thing is consistency. You need to make a plan and stick to it. We've seen improvement very quickly, unfortunately we've let it slip a few times for several reasons and now we're back to step one. Only started again two nights ago and already seeing improvement (lo is 11 months). I have read the 'good night sleep tight' book and found it very good. We did make little tweaks here and there but I like how it explains that basically when your baby wakes up crying, it cries because it wants to sleep but needs support as they can't do it on their own yet, that's what we're trying to teach now.

Natasha92 Thu 20-Jun-19 09:36:24

Hey, thanks so much for your reply. Yeah consistency is key and I just have to be firm. Some days have been better than others, he has fallen asleep within 5 mins of crying but then the next day hes cried till hes made himself sick!! We're trying a different approach now as I feel like he started to think his cot was a prison. He used to hysterically cry even during the day and he never did that before. We have taken 1 side of the rail off and pushed it towards our bed.. want him to feel safe and secure in his cot first before we try again. It's going really well. I will definitely get that book!! Seems like you're doing a good job, let me know how it goes would love to hear about it.. I just wish I started earlier think it would have been easier lol x

OP’s posts: |
Peanutty86 Thu 20-Jun-19 10:50:55

Oh well done! Whatever works for you and him!
We started before he could sit up and it went really well then. Now he sits up immediately and if he gets too worked up he stands up. He struggles to just lie back down so that's what we're working at.
The first time around I'd always worry if he was hungry/thirsty so offered boob too quickly. We're trying to keep it at one feed per night now.
🤞🏼 we all get some good sleep soon!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in