Talk

Advanced search

Not taking milk at bedtime.... (long, sorry)

(11 Posts)
caspercat Sat 21-Jul-07 19:47:30

Not sure where to post this but will try here. DD (12mths) become terrible at taking milk. Takes her about an hour to finish 7oz in the morning (but that's not a problem), then used to have 3-4oz in afternoon, and 7oz after bath but before bed. Weaning going well, so no issue with amounts, am just worried she's not getting enough calcium (and i do try to always make sure she has dairy in each meal, but short of cheese on milk with added grated cheese, i would like her to have some variety!!)
Anyway, suddenly started refusing eve bottle, so decided to cut out afternoon bottle, bring tea forward to try to make sure she's hungry at bedtime, but no difference. Bathtime a little later now she's older, and she loves her bath, then as soon as dressed, she takes about 2oz of milk, then just wants to get up, crawl around and play. Don't want to force her, so we put her to bed, where she goes to sleep straight away and sleeps through!!!!
Any ideas??? Sorry for long post xx

Seona1973 Sat 21-Jul-07 19:51:43

From 1 year the minimum recommended drops to around 300/350mls (approx 12oz). This includes milk with cereal, in foods, dairy products, etc so they dont have to take much as a drink at all. As long as there are other sources of the same nutrients then there would be no problem. Have you tried giving milk with her evening meal instead of after the bath and see if she takes more that way. They dont HAVE to have milk at bedtime if they dont want it.

alexw Sat 21-Jul-07 19:53:11

Have you tried milk before bath?? My dd wouldn't touch it afterwards or fussed. Def cut out afternoon bottle. Also, by this time my dd was using beaker - she seemed to like the control it gave her by holding it herself etc... Just ideas...

4jen Sat 21-Jul-07 19:59:33

If I remember rightly they need about a pint of milk a day at 12 months, which can be included in cereal, sauces etc as well as bottles. Sounds like you are well on target with calcium intake and everything you have done so far to encourage her. Perhaps she has just gone off it for a bit. I also found that my DD would often refuse milk when she was teething, could this be the case?.

Seona1973 Sat 21-Jul-07 20:00:05

This is an extract from Babycentre - Food for thought

Anything that is in one food will also be in some others so no single food is absolutely necessary. A generation ago milk, for example, was thought essential for children. Now milk is recognised as a food that some children are far better off without; even for the rest, it's only an easy-to-take package of useful nutrients. The valuable proteins, minerals and vitamins that milk contains are in other foods too, especially the many foods made from it. There's no virtue in a cup of milk that isn't in a cup of yoghurt, any more than there's especial virtue in an egg gazing one-eyed off a plate. The milk and egg in the pancake your child enjoys is just as good.

Seona1973 Sat 21-Jul-07 20:03:34

The minimum really is around 300/350mls:

A baby who is enjoying infant formula at six months can continue to use it up to and beyond one year of age. The suggested minimum is 500-600mls (about a pint) a day of infant formula or follow-on formula, up to one year of age. After this time a minimum of 350mls/ 12oz milk (breast, formula or cows' milk) is suggested. (from Babycentre)

caspercat Sat 21-Jul-07 20:04:39

Phew, thanks for quick replies. All good advice, i should chill obviously!!!
The one thing i wanted to try was to give her milk before bath, maybe when we're chilling on the sofa, but DH doesn't want that, thinks it will confuse her!!!

Seona1973 Sat 21-Jul-07 20:08:14

Come to a compromise with him and see if you can try it for a couple of nights 'just to see how it goes'. Cant hurt and might help.

bozza Sat 21-Jul-07 20:13:51

Milk is commonly used as a wind-down strategy/comforter at bedtime. It does not have this effect on your DD who is managing fine with bedtime. So basically I wouldn't bother with associating it with bedtime just because this is common practice. FWIW both my children gave up their bedtime cup of milk before their first thing in the morning one. Is there another time of day when she would be interested in milk? Before/after nap? Mid morning? Why does your DH think it will confuse her? Current routine is not working so why not try something different?

I think it is 12oz from 12mths on.

caspercat Sat 21-Jul-07 21:46:41

Thanks again. Bozza, u said exactly what i said to DH. Think i will just wait till tomorrow and tackle it then, don't want to cause a row before bedtime! xxx

bozza Sun 22-Jul-07 21:18:58

Hope you get on OK caspercat. Maybe your DH is just a bit set in his ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now