Puberty and anxiety

(1 Post)
Jimjam75 Mon 27-May-19 09:37:33

I wonder if anyone can help. My 12 year old daughter has suddenly become very anxious about being away from me. She’s going through puberty at the moment (no periods yet) and although we have always been very close recently she won’t even go to granny’s for a sleepover.

A few weeks ago she chose to go to a school camp for four nights. I had to pick her up after two, and while I believe her that nothing happened to trigger this, she was almost hysterical on the phone saying she missed me. She enjoyed all the activities during the day but said her room was noisy at night etc etc. Then, this past weekend, she went to stay at granny’s with her younger brother, and came home at 10pm again saying she didn’t want to be away from me. She loves staying at granny’s usually.

I just can’t figure out what is going on. My husband and I have both chatted with her and she says she just can’t explain how she is feeling. We really want to help her but I honestly can’t remember feeling that way when I went through puberty. We’ve asked her if she wants to chat to the Gp about how she is feeling but she doesn’t.

She has always been a “nervy” child as my mum would say, but she comes across as outwardly confident. I’m so worried about her.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in