Is this separation anxiety?

(7 Posts)
HarryHarry Fri 24-May-19 01:58:27

The doctor said there’s nothing physically wrong with him so it must be separation anxiety, though it’s worse than normal. Nothing to be done but get through it! Thank god it’s nearly the weekend is all I can say!

OP’s posts: |
Bluerussian Thu 23-May-19 17:34:49

Aw bless you, it's a phase a lot of little ones go through. Trrust me, it will pass - I hope soon for you.
flowers

HarryHarry Thu 23-May-19 17:32:28

I thought that too! He definitely knows something is happening, he keeps poking my bump. Last night he screamed inconsolably for 3 HOURS because I got up to go to the toilet! I have been working on “bye bye” but so far he only knows “hello”. Taking him to the doctor today just in case I’m overlooking something.

Thank you for your replies

MummyBear2352 Thu 23-May-19 08:50:31

Yes could be.

You need to teach him the word bye. As in bye means you are coming back. So start by saying bye, waving and leave the room for 10 seconds then come back. Just keep doing this over and over and slowly increase the time.

In the mean time keep reassuring him you're always there for him. Try your best to console him when he's upset and keep him close so that he builds up the confidence that you will be there when he needs him and he can leave your side and he will still he safe because you will be there if he wants you.

Good luck! It's a very difficult thing to deal with especially with being pregnant. He could also he sensing the pregnancy x

HarryHarry Wed 22-May-19 17:23:54

It’s tough. I don’t really know anyone who doesn’t already have their hands full with their own babies! I don’t speak the local language so I’m kind of screwed regarding accessing health services here. I guess I just want someone to tell me this is normal.

Danielle1371 Wed 22-May-19 15:59:33

Maybe start out by contact your health visitor or a gp might be worth getting him checked over to rule out anything medical and definitely accept any help you can! I can’t imagine how difficult it is for you being pregnant as well! Even if it is separation anxiety it might be worth leaving him with someone you trust for an hour or so at a time while you get a break you definitely need some you time to recoup, exhaustion doesn’t make anything easier! Xx

HarryHarry Wed 22-May-19 15:12:33

For about 3 weeks my 13 month old son has been screaming his head off every time I leave his side, even if he can still see me. I literally can’t even go to the toilet because it triggers a full on meltdown. Even when I pick him up - which is very difficult because he’s very tall and heavy for his age and he isn’t walking yet - he’s inconsolable, kicking and screaming to get out of my arms. I don’t know what to do. I’m 5 months pregnant with baby #2 and I have no help (I don’t live in the UK). My whole body is aching and I’m utterly exhausted from the non stop screaming 24 hours a day. Up to last month he was a good sleeper and perfectly happy. What is happening?

Does anyone have any advice? Please give me some hope that it won’t go on for much longer!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in