Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you take your 3 yo DS shopping?

(19 Posts)
FrayedKnot Thu 19-Jul-07 19:42:12

And if so are they capable of walking alongside you and waiting while you look at things for even one nanosecond without running off / crashing into things / swinging off your arm / touching everything / throwing themsleves on the floor / whining /

I had started leaving the buggy behond but I can;t cope, DS (3.4) is tall and looks too big for his buggy now but I can;t get anything DONE

emkana Thu 19-Jul-07 19:44:01

Personally I feel that a child under, ooooooooh, six? and shopping just do not mix.

Avoid, if possible!

tassisssss Thu 19-Jul-07 19:44:33

ds was in buggy until 3.5, then buggy board for a few months, now walks

he's a FANTASTIC shopper

(if you want him in the stroller and he'll stay I'd go for it and not bother what people think, IMHO people get far too bothered about this!)

Marne Thu 19-Jul-07 19:44:37

Reins?

Dd1 (3.5) has to walk now as dd2 is in the buggy, she does'nt run off but shes very slow, if dh is with me we put her in a buggy or on the buggy board.

Sheherazadethegoat Thu 19-Jul-07 19:45:06

no - this is not a possiblity. even dd who has an extraordinary interest in my clothes can't help herself - between the running away and comedy falling to the floor when i am holding her hand she drives me demented.

FrayedKnot Thu 19-Jul-07 19:47:25

I am not talking a 3 hour trip around a shopping centre, either

I am talking 10 mins in the Garden Centre gift shop while I look for a present & card for MIL

Had left it too late to shop online

Now have bought something in embarrassment & desperation & it doesn't look that great now I have got it home

Aagghh

tassisssss Thu 19-Jul-07 19:48:15

ds is v easily pleased so 3 shops and then a sit in one of those sit upon thingys (I don't put money in - tight mummy)

another 3 shops and he gets to choose treat for pudding in M&S (or similar)

another 3 shops and maybe we'll pick him some new socks/vest/something he needs anyways/help choose b'day gift for friend...or it's snack time

last few shops and won't daddy be impressed at how good he's been

I talk non-stop to him about how great he is, how I love shopping with him, what does he think of this top for mummy etc

Mind numbing stuff but it works for us!

cat64 Thu 19-Jul-07 19:50:08

Message withdrawn

cat64 Thu 19-Jul-07 19:51:13

Message withdrawn

Posey Thu 19-Jul-07 19:56:10

cat64 - I haven't laughed so much in ages. Have got to send this to dh at work right now

FrayedKnot Thu 19-Jul-07 20:05:55

lol

I NEVER accompany DH shopping anywhere

It's the buggy for DS, until he is 10, then

tassisssss Thu 19-Jul-07 20:07:09

ds might be good (if tiring) but dh is a nightmare!

lljkk Thu 19-Jul-07 20:09:11

3yo DD and 3yo DS1 were okay, but 3yo DS2 is awful. No buggy=no shoppy.

sugarfree Thu 19-Jul-07 20:13:57

I spend a lot of time in my local fabric store which has an upstairs.If I have to take Ds3 (3.9) with me,he goes straight to the bottom stair and announces loudly "I'm already on the naughty stair,Mum"
Except tonight when we were in there and he shouted loudly "THIS SHOP IS CRAP!"

princessmel Thu 19-Jul-07 20:14:48

My ds did all the things you mentioned and more.

I took dh and put ds in a buggy, so we had a buggy each or if I was alone then I'd put him on the buggy board and only do essential shopping. I'd save the browsing for when I was alone.

oooggs Thu 19-Jul-07 20:19:09

yes I take ds 3.6 and dts 16 weeks shopping

cat64 that was great

tracyk Thu 19-Jul-07 20:24:02

only supermarket shopping and then it costs me - I promise ONE toy/sweet/magazine/ice lolly that he can choose himself. But I make sure he isn't hungry or tired before I even attempt it.

ChasingSquirrels Thu 19-Jul-07 20:28:21

ds1 was fine, from about 2.5y. Now at 4.9y he is still fine, but moans about it, so I try not to take him.

FirenzeandZooey Thu 19-Jul-07 20:32:15

No, it's grim, isn't it

you MUST have the buggy and you MUST do hit and run shopping whenever possible

for longer trips you must stick to the "my turn, your turn" rule and do one of your jobs, then go to toy shop for 10 mins to browse. Then one of your jobs, then go and throw pennies in the fountain. etc etc. This still results in shouting and crying but may help in the long term, and at least you FEEl reasonable.

The only thing I found that really works is save it all up till the weekend and go by yourself Ds is 4 and a bit now and it is easier again, but not wonderful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now