Talk

Advanced search

How do I keep my two year old in his buggy/highchair/car seat?

(15 Posts)
nimnom Tue 17-Jul-07 12:54:03

My son who is almost 2 climbs out of everything (apart from his cot thank goodness!). The most worrying is that he can get the shoulder straps of his car seat off.When my other son was his age I had a velcro safety thing which prevented him from getting the car seat straps off but I've used that on the buggy with my 2 year old and he can get it off.
Any ideas?

Scootergrrrl Tue 17-Jul-07 12:58:36

Gaffer tape?

nimnom Tue 17-Jul-07 12:59:16

don't tempt me?I've already considered handcuffs!!

Scootergrrrl Tue 17-Jul-07 13:00:06

What about something which clips it behind his back so he can't reach?

jeangenie Tue 17-Jul-07 13:00:13

I've given up on everything but the car seat - for that I tell her that if she takes them off we will stop the car and sit there until they are back on again - we only had to follow through once and now she puts them back on fairly quickly once reminded

nearlythere Tue 17-Jul-07 13:02:22

you can get a clip for car seats- lock tite i think!

MrsBadger Tue 17-Jul-07 13:03:15

harness off a set of reins (clasp is at the back) - shoulder straps should be short enough not to wriggle arms through
attach to D rings on pushchair or higchhair
undo D rings when you want him out but leave harness on.

no good for carseat though as you need to be able to undo it fast - some mothers have cars that stop automatically if a child takes his harness off...

bagpuss Tue 17-Jul-07 13:04:37

I read on another site somewhere that bag clips (the sort that you can get from Ikea or Lakeland for closing up plastic bags) are a very effective way of stopping kids getting out of harnesses. I think you would just place them in the same position as the velcro safety thing but I haven't actually tried it.

HelenLoveJoyOfSpringfield Tue 17-Jul-07 13:05:27

A hair bobble tying the straps together across his chest usually works.

Or there was a thing you could buy from GLTC I think

I give up on the buggy thing & now let ds walk, using one of these: wrist straps

HelenLoveJoyOfSpringfield Tue 17-Jul-07 13:07:11

I know people don't generally approve of harnesses or wrist straps, but I find this one great for ds who is a good walker & likes to stay beside us without holding our hands.

On a recent holiday I had numerous people say what a good idea it was & ask where they could buy one.

growingbagpuss Tue 17-Jul-07 13:10:49

You can use reins, which then feed into the pushchair - they clip up from behind so he won't be able to reach them.

As for thecar.. well I'm afraid when DS (2.5) undid his seatbelt we pulled over to the hard shoulder, and told him to get out. When I got out of the car and opened his door it scared the living daylights out of him! the only trouble is when they suss that you wouldn't ACTUALLY drive off without them.

growingbagpuss Tue 17-Jul-07 13:12:42

OMG - I've found someone with nearly the same name as me!!!! Oh no.... now i'll have to think of something else to call myself once the LO pops out..

<sorry - hijacked thread>

growingbagpuss Tue 17-Jul-07 13:12:43

OMG - I've found someone with nearly the same name as me!!!! Oh no.... now i'll have to think of something else to call myself once the LO pops out..

<sorry - hijacked thread>

nimnom Tue 17-Jul-07 13:20:27

Thanks for all the quick replies. The lock tite thing looks really good and I do use reins. He's not the best walker - at least he loves walking but when he's on the reins he thinks it's hilarious to flop on the floor all the time! It's a real shock to the system after ds1 who thought the reins were great.

chipmonkey Wed 18-Jul-07 01:43:13

Ds3 can now climb out of his cot.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: