Talk

Advanced search

How much sleep does your 2 yr old have?

(21 Posts)
LoveMyGirls Tue 17-Jul-07 12:29:53

How many hours sleep should a 25 month old have per day?

TIA

witchandchips Tue 17-Jul-07 12:32:29

honest answer - as much as he/she needs

my son (28 mths) seems to need less than most 11-12 hours in total

Azure Tue 17-Jul-07 12:33:04

I've no idea how much they should have but DS2 (23 months) sleeps for a maximum of 10 hours at night plus around 1.5 hours after lunch. I seem to remember DS1 being the same around this age. After an eternity of 5am wake-ups, the last few days DS2 has woken up after 6am, which is so blissful and I'm praying it lasts.

Tutter Tue 17-Jul-07 12:34:14

seems to vary so much

ds is 2.2

he sleeps on average 7:30pm to just before 6am

pluys 1.5 hours in the day

so total of 12 hours

LoveMyGirls Tue 17-Jul-07 12:41:45

Azure - what did you change so that he woke later? Did it just happen? How long did the early waking last?

jeangenie Tue 17-Jul-07 12:43:09

DD2(25 months) sleeps approx 8pm-8am plus 2 hours during the day

(payback for DD1 who never slept a wink as far as I can remember and still tries her best not to)

Desiderata Tue 17-Jul-07 12:43:57

It varies from week to week. I tend to find that he afternoon naps when going through a growth spurt ... but otherwise, he'll wake about 7am and go to bed about 7 or 8pm.

VictorVictoria Tue 17-Jul-07 12:45:54

My DS same age as Tutter's

Does same sleep (inc when) as tutters

As well as the periodic 5am waking (grrrr)

How is it going wioth that Tutter?

nimnom Tue 17-Jul-07 12:48:20

How long is a piece of string!DS1 needed just his 12 hours overnight, sometimes less when he was two.DS2 is nearly two and has 11-12 hours at night plus 2-3 hours in the day which he really needs.
Early waking is just soemthing that happens by itself. DS1(nearly 5) has always woken early and continues to do so although it's getting better.Very occassionally he will have a lay in but that usually follows a late night or a few late nights. DS2 will sleep later if no-one else is up - I guess he just likes his bed more!

Tutter Tue 17-Jul-07 12:50:36

arf vicvic

goes through patches tbh

a few days makes it to 6am, followed by a few days of 5:30

today 6am on the dot. yday 6:10. day before 5:30

yours?

VictorVictoria Tue 17-Jul-07 12:56:27

Touch wood we seem to have been back over 6am for the last few days. No idea why.

Have bored myself into apathy by worrying and talking about it. And I am 12 weeks pregnant and not sleeping at allso am usually awake at 5 anyway

YAWN...........

mare Tue 17-Jul-07 12:58:22

My ds1 AND ds2 both stopped having daytime naps at almost exactly the same time. 25/26 months. DS1 because he would lie there for two hours wide awake quite happily in the afternoon and then start to call me. He was just ready! DS 2 because if I let him sleep at all during the day I can't get him to go to sleep until 11pm. He get's a bit tired late afternoon but he will go to sleep at 7pm without a murmer!
Both now sleep about 12 hours per night from 7.-7.30ish to the same on the morning! Nice and civilised!

Tutter Tue 17-Jul-07 12:58:52

oh congratulations

i have (finally) concluded that there is feck all point trying to analyse it

it appears to make no difference at all when he goes to bed, or what he's done the day before, or how much he's eaten, etc etc - he'll wake when he's ready

which will be somewhere between 5:20 and 6:20

i'm 39+2 and resigned to no sleep for the next few years

VictorVictoria Tue 17-Jul-07 13:02:28

Exactly the conclusion I have reached (and for the same reasons). Hope you have some help for when No2 comes along........

TBH the only way I cope is because I work. If I were at home all day then I would have to look after the little darling and CONCENTRATE whereas at work I can doze quietly at my desk for the most part and hope nobody notices me.....

Tutter Tue 17-Jul-07 13:04:02

i am lucky in that i do (have help) - nanny/mother help arrived 2 weeks ago

am at home, so really do see the difference in ds's mood depending on whether he's woken at 5:something or 6:something

mare Tue 17-Jul-07 13:05:10

p.s it was bloody murder along the way - both breastfed and useless sleepers for firt year. (I was very envious of friends with bottlefed 5 month olds already sleeping 14 hours on the trot, but determined that 'breast was best' was more important than a good nights sleep for me!) Boys only 21 months apart and only just 4 and 2 years old now so have just come out of YEARS of up several times a night and 5 a.m starts!! They GET there!

annoyingdevil Tue 17-Jul-07 13:39:47

DD (2.3) goes to bed at 8pm (reads her books in the cot for a while) Wakes at 8am and has a 2 hr nap in the afternoon (13 hrs - at a guess)

boo64 Tue 17-Jul-07 13:49:04

ds (2 a couple of weeks ago) goes to bed at 8ish but doesn't fall asleep til maybe 8.15 sometimes later. Wakes at between 7.45 and 8.45 (!) if it isn't a nursery day when he has to get up at 7.35.

'Sleeps' for 1.5 hours at lunchtime but I don't know how long it takes for him to go to sleep - he would take longer if he had the chance but then would be even harder to get to sleep at bedtime!

Probably a total of around 13 hours a day then.
I credit his liking for sleep to his genes - takes after his dad and me! He does have a dummy though still (strictly only for sleep time) and I do think that means he sleeps longer - reckon if he woke early in the morning he wouldn't go back to sleep without it. It's got to go soon though....

GroovyChic Tue 17-Jul-07 14:04:46

DS (2.7) sleeps from 8.15pm to 7.45am and has a 2/3 hours nap in the afternoon. He likes his sleep

Azure Tue 17-Jul-07 14:32:22

LoveMyGirls - I didn't do anything special, it's just been a pleasant surprise. I'd given up hope that DS2 would ever wake later than around 5.15am and I really hope it's not just a temporary blip. The time he goes to bed doesn't make a bit of difference - he's just more tired in the morning. DS1 was just the same, until one day he suddenly started sleeping for longer (I'm only talking 6am to 6.30am, but that's better than previously).

LoveMyGirls Tue 17-Jul-07 15:03:27

Looks like I am very lucky then! My dd2 isn't 2 yet and sleeps 7pm to 6.30am ish (basically wakes when she hears the bath go on) then sleeps 2-3hrs in the afternoon!

Was only asking because mindees mum has dropped his nap due to early morning waking and his behaviour has gone downhill and i wondered if it was fair to him to expect him to stay awake for 13hrs a day but I suppose as long as he's getting roughly 11 hours a night then its pretty average really. Will have to hope as he gets used to it his behaviour improves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now