Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DS (nearly 2) loves books but simply won't be read to - anyone else had this issue?

(12 Posts)
Miaou Fri 13-Jul-07 21:50:50

Ds (2 in a couple of weeks) loves books - will often sit with a pile and look through them. He will point out things he recognises if I am passing but if I attempt to sit down with him, God forbid read a sentence, he gets really cross and stops looking at them! I'm at a bit of a loss really because at this age I was reading to the dds for hours at a time (er, maybe not such a bad thing then! ).

He is very independent in other ways too - rather hilariously at the moment, he seems to be trying to teach himself to swim - refuses any offer of a supporting hand and nearly drowned himself twice this afternoon in the process

Anyone else have a child like this - did they suddenly start asking to be read to? I'd rather hoped he would suddenly get very keen on being read to as it's a great "includer" for when db makes an appearance (imminent).

Miaou Fri 13-Jul-07 22:06:02

blimey that dropped off active convos quickly - shamless bump

Miaou Fri 13-Jul-07 22:34:27

And again ... I'm very tenacious, you know

QueenofBleach Fri 13-Jul-07 22:38:21

My DD's the same, loves looking at books turning pages etc, but gets cross if I read to her

QueenofBleach Fri 13-Jul-07 22:38:52

And you are now right back at top of active klist

Miaou Fri 13-Jul-07 22:40:03

LOL QOB, thank you! How old is your dd?

QueenofBleach Fri 13-Jul-07 22:41:52

18 months, always grabbing books, but no patience being read too unless she is trapped in her cot and now I have shamelssley bumped you agin I am off to bed

QueenofBleach Fri 13-Jul-07 22:42:09

Oh and good luck with your birth

peachypie Fri 13-Jul-07 22:42:25

My DD was a bit like this, she loved books but untill about 1 yr ago (now 3yrs) if i sat to read her a story she would get cross and just keep turning over the page.
Now she loves being read to?!

brimfull Fri 13-Jul-07 22:43:21

no experience but rather envious of you having a 2yr old who does anything on his own.
I applaud his independent streak although must be a tad annoying for you.
Good luck with your imminent arrival btw.

Miaou Fri 13-Jul-07 23:00:41

Thank you everyone - peachygirl, that gives me hope!

ggirl - I know it's most intriguing - the dds were so clingy and wanted me to do everything for them! Ds loves to play by himself too (though constantly tells me what he is doing and loves the dds to play with him occasionally)

hana Fri 13-Jul-07 23:03:45

my 2 year old is the same, only now she is sitting still to be read to - never lasts the whole book tho

she does love to go through books herself and 'read'
tis cute

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now