Talk

Advanced search

14 month old no words

(5 Posts)
ReturnofSaturn Thu 11-Apr-19 16:33:44

My son, who is 14 and a half months is still not saying any words.
Should I be worried? He's still only babbling and one-syllable babbles such as 'mmm' 'ma' 'da' 'ba'

He has always been quite forward on the physical milestones. Rolling at a few weeks, crawled at 5/6 months, walked at 10 months etc but seems to be behind on emotional/communication etc

Is there anything I should be doing? Getting a little concerned about it.

OP’s posts: |
ReturnofSaturn Thu 11-Apr-19 17:56:53

Bump

OP’s posts: |
April45 Thu 11-Apr-19 22:00:38

No, don't worry. You tend to find they excel in one or the other. Took my DS ages to get words going.

Some tips..
- point and name objects with one word
- get a book with everyday things in.. the first 100 words type ones. If you name the picture, you might be surprised what he knows but can't say.
- don't have too many books, 7 or so books you read a lot is better. Books like dear zoo, spot are good.
- sing nursery rhymes
- talk to him, ask him to do things. E.g. get your shoes.

Kle209 Fri 12-Apr-19 19:51:10

Just wanted to let you know that my 14.5 month old also has no words. I have no tips or advice but just wanted to say that you’re not alone.

I don’t think that we should be worried though I’m struggling not to worry too! I’m doing the things the PP mentioned so hopefully neither of us will have to wait too much longer for their first word...

NaiceHamPlease Sun 14-Apr-19 12:43:47

I have a 16 months DS who isn't talking just yet so don't worry too much. He understands quite a lot now and can fetch items and follow simple instructions (sometimes!). We get mama, dada, There! There! lots but nothing else. Out of our NCT group he is the least verbal but most physical.

He just started nursery, they are monitoring him for his speech but said they'd only suggest a referral if he still has no words at 18 months.

Funny enough though when I picked him up on Friday they told me he'd said dog a few times and also tried to name some other animals. I suspect he doesn't make the effort for me as I always know what he wants!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in