Stranger danger age 3

(5 Posts)
Notsurewhat1981 Tue 09-Apr-19 14:46:13

I'm taking my very friendly and inquisitive little girl to Greece solo in a few weeks and I just wondered if there is a good resource for teaching her not to walk off talking to people or accept treats off anyone, unless I say yes just in case. We have always done AI in a pretty enclosed resort before so sc and just us 2 is a new challenge, I'm worried by her lack of fear about strangers tbh but also don't want to frighten her

OP’s posts: |
Confusedbeetle Tue 09-Apr-19 15:01:35

I wonder why you think stranger danger is more of a problem in Greece that at home? Research has suggested that children can easily be persuaded to go with a stranger even though parents say they would not. Bad things happen, but actually, are rare. Danger from known adults is more common. I don't believe you can teach this to a 3-year-old. You just never let her out of your site. She should be allowed to speak with strangers in your presence.

Notsurewhat1981 Tue 09-Apr-19 15:05:24

I don't think that at all, it could be a problem anywhere, the only difference being there is just the 2 of us normally 4. I would tie her to me if I could but not very practical, I was just thinking of instances where we have been doing something like hiring a car or booking a tour n she tries to get up n go or starts talking to someone etc which is manageable with 2 adults. So I just wanted to get her to understand that if mummy is trying to do something nice for us like that you can't get up n go

OP’s posts: |
NoKnit Tue 09-Apr-19 17:31:17

At 3 they just don't have the understanding so nothing you can teach them. You don't realise this until your child is about 5 though, but just believe experienced parents on here.

Lara53 Tue 09-Apr-19 19:21:42

I would get a little life backpack with a handle on top so you can hold on to her or a wrist rein yo can attach to yourself and her

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in