Talk

Advanced search

head huggers in car seats....when can they come out?

(15 Posts)
Orchide Fri 13-Jul-07 10:29:15

we have a maxi cosi cabrio car seat which has a headhugger which can be removed when necessary.

my daughter is 6 weeks old, quite a 'chunky monkey' at 12lb and its getting quite a squeeze to get her into the car seat with head hugger attached. she is gaining head control but it is still random and not consistent. i really want to take the head hugger biut out of the car seat cos she looks so uncomfy and its getting harder to squeeze her in and out of the space. the head hugger panel also has a spong base which alters there sittign position....think it makes them lay rather than sit

anyone got any idea how long is advised?
what did you do?

mozhe Fri 13-Jul-07 10:44:11

I have never used one.....what is it for ?
I have 6 children...the youngest a 2 week old prem born at 27 weeks...will it be something I need ?

mumfor1standfinaltime Fri 13-Jul-07 10:57:18

I bought one but never used it. It is designed to keep their head comfortable and 'still' when in their seat. Ds was born at 9lb 12 so I didn't think he needed it really!

Orchide Fri 13-Jul-07 16:58:48

have NOW been reading the manual which rekons u should take the foam insert out at about 4/5 months...there is no way my DD wil last one more month at this rate!!

so how important is it?

Marne Fri 13-Jul-07 17:01:48

I used one until dd could control her head which was at 1-2 months old.

ProjectSeverus Fri 13-Jul-07 17:06:24

mohze all sorts of restrictions for premmies and car seats iirc. Get the flattest one you can get bebe confort one is flattish iirc.

mozhe Fri 13-Jul-07 17:16:12

Oooh have you got a link for that...?

ProjectSeverus Fri 13-Jul-07 17:19:27

will do later mohze - kids dinner just now

mozhe Fri 13-Jul-07 17:26:15

No rush....he's in SCBU for next 10ish weeks I should think.....

ProjectSeverus Sat 14-Jul-07 21:25:28

this is it I think

prem babies oxygen levels

Katy44 Sat 14-Jul-07 21:38:26

Thank you for starting this thread, I've got the same car seat and have noticed DS's feet dangle over the bottom
I checked the instructions today and they do say 4/5 months but surely it would be safer without it! Glad other people are doing the same!

ProjectSeverus Sat 14-Jul-07 21:39:25

more here

worth pointing out that which slammed carrycot style car seats as dangerous.

ProjectSeverus Sat 14-Jul-07 21:40:21

Orchide read the oxygen stuff before changing the laying position it is really worth a read.

summerunderakaftan Sun 15-Jul-07 07:54:20

Just a thought here.
DS is 14 months and still fits in his with the head hugger is it possible that it may just be time to raise the straps up to the next height???
I think DS must have been about 6-8 weeks when I had to do that. If head control is a bit random then it might be best to leave it my friend took hers out quite early and I always thought the baby looked all scrunched asleep.

LadyTophamSortingHatt Sun 15-Jul-07 08:02:36

I stopped when ds4 started to look a bit squashed.
At about 10 weeks I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now