Talk

Advanced search

When are tantrums not normal?

(5 Posts)
purpleme12 Mon 01-Apr-19 09:27:29

If that is the only sign I really wouldn't worry. If you Google you can get fixated. Flapping would have to be accompanied by a lot more to be autism. Flapping could just be a quirk when he's excited that he'll grow out of at this stage. Honestly try not to worry and just enjoy it

HappyGoGoLucky Mon 01-Apr-19 09:19:59

Thank you.

I just worry so much. I think he is frustrated as his speech is not very advanced but I did mention this to the HV and she said not to worry as he is picking up speech and can understand what you are saying.

Another thing I've noticed sometimes is he flaps his arms.... he does this when he gets excited though. I have read that this is a symptom of autism... I know I shouldn't be Googling but that's all I've been doing to convince myself that he is normal but I've never seen any children of his age doing what he does sad

OP’s posts: |
purpleme12 Mon 01-Apr-19 09:08:13

I can't remember how many mine had when they were 2. However I don't think your post sounds abnormal. I wouldn't worry about it.

I just wait for it to pass a lot of the time even now at 5

redwoodmazza Sun 31-Mar-19 11:40:31

I feel so lucky that my son [now 26!!!] never had any tantrums.
I do hope someone is able to give you guidance.

HappyGoGoLucky Sun 31-Mar-19 11:32:49

My 2 year old DS seems to be having tantrums very frequently and it is starting to worry me.

I recorded each tantrum yesterday (which also replicated every day as well) and here it is:

10am - 15 minutes
11am - 10 minutes
1.30pm - 45 minutes to an hour (on/off ish)
4pm - 20 minutes
8pm - 5 minutes
9pm - 5 minutes

Probably doesn't sound bad but the one hour tantrum was in the middle of a park and it was so embarrassing. He was not tired or hungry as he had a nap and ate beforehand. I was just standing there waiting for it to pass because nothing I did settled him.

The reason he did it was because he had finished his ice cream and wanted more but I obviously said no more.

He is not great when talking. Our household is bilingual so I am not sure whether trying to pick up two languages is making it more frustrating for him to talk/understand.

When he is with other people, apparently he is the most well behaved child they've ever looked after. His childminder has no issues with his behaviour either and said that he is very good. So why does he do it with his parents? We constantly give him our attention but when we try and play or teach him to say some words, that's when he throws a massive strop.

Every day I am dreading it because of the way he is and acts sad would you say this rings alarm bells for throwing tantrums constantly every day with his parents but not with friends/family?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in