Talk

Advanced search

Teeth cleaning ... ding, ding ... round 1 ...

(25 Posts)
busybaby Fri 06-Jul-07 22:35:12

Can anyone help?

Dd is 21 months old and we have been having twice daily battles over cleaning her teeth ever since she has had some to clean.

Occasionally she will dutifully open her mouth wide and allow us to do the job, but most of the time she clamps shut and refuses and if we persist it ends in a big tantrum - mine or hers!! Hence, we have given up persisting a long time ago and we give lots of praise, clapping and cheers blah, blah, blah when she does let us.

But given that this has been going on for a long while now, we would like to solve the problem. For a long while we thought her gums were sore but she has all but her 4 very back teeth now - surely this is not the issue every day?

Anyone got any ideas for us?

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 06-Jul-07 22:36:12

Will watch this with interest as DS (just over a year) is a sod when it comes to teeth brushing!!!

clutteredup Fri 06-Jul-07 22:37:04

we let dd1 'do it herself' then just do 'a bit extra for luck'

busybaby Fri 06-Jul-07 22:37:34

Hmmm. Doesn't it just drive you mental.

busybaby Fri 06-Jul-07 22:39:29

Have tried that clutteredup but all she does is suck the toothbrush and then refuses to let us do anything anyway.

She is one very independent little miss! Don't know where she gets it from !!

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 06-Jul-07 22:40:11

It does! DH is Middle Eastern and they are all very chilled about first teeth ('they get replaced don't they?!) and they were gobsmacked (no pun intended!!) that DS has his own little toothbrush!

DH is all oh leave it, he doesn't like it but I remain firm and carry on even if he screams....hate doing it but I don't want him having bad teeth later on and getting picked on! Would love a wonder solution!!

edam Fri 06-Jul-07 22:40:33

Used to drive me nuts. Sometimes I ended up pinning ds to the ground in order to get his teeth done. Novelty toothbrushs and different pastes are worth a try, obv. lots of OTT praise for when she does co-operate, maybe stickers/star charts (can't remember if 21 months is too young for them?).

busybaby Fri 06-Jul-07 22:44:09

Have done the pinning down thing - a friend recommended wrap her in a towel so she can't fight! - worked for a couple of days. Also hate forcing her but am obviously very aware of the need.

Would love to be able to be chilled about it like your dh PJC, it would make life easier!

We also just want to get her into good habits for later on.

busybaby Fri 06-Jul-07 22:46:40

Don't think the taste of the toothpaste is a problem as she'll quite happily suck the toothpaste directly out of the tube or off the toothbrush. It's the brushing bit she won't have.

Have wondered about star charts myself - not sure if she'd get it yet but do OTT praise.

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 06-Jul-07 22:49:43

I've bought one of those finger brushes that you can put on your finger but DS hates that as much as the toothbrush....<sigh>

What about an electric kiddie toothbrush? She may enjoy the novelty of that? DS obv too young for that but your DD may not be?

busybaby Fri 06-Jul-07 22:51:19

Didn't know they made kiddie electric ones - will have a look for one. Good thought - thanks.

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 06-Jul-07 22:51:47

Yup, saw them in tescos they other day!

HTH - let me know how you get on!

busybaby Fri 06-Jul-07 22:56:30

I feel a shopping trip coming on!

Will certainly let you know.

We used to do dd's teeth in the bath when she was a bit younger which seemed to be ok for a while - wonder if that might work for your ds. Also when she does have a day when she lets us brush well, she quite likes watching in the mirror.

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 06-Jul-07 23:05:25

I may try the mirror twm....DS loves looking in the mirror at the moment! Its very funny as he leans towards the edge and wonders where he's gone! awww!! Love him!

busybaby Fri 06-Jul-07 23:09:58

Lol! Isn't it just as well they have these beautiful habits as well ... a survival skill I think!

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 06-Jul-07 23:11:40

He's asleep now but I miss him! Can't wait for him to wake up tmw as want a cuddle! He has a bad cold and been all clingy today...its sad that he's got a cold but I must admit, I do love all the cuddles I get!!

busybaby Fri 06-Jul-07 23:15:52

You're getting all soppy now, and you were supposed to be angry about teeth cleaning!

Dd isn't poorly very often but I have to admit that I love the cuddles when she is too! And I love her saying " tank you dahlin' ". Makes me smile every time.

Mung Fri 06-Jul-07 23:15:52

DS will let me brush his if he can brush mine. I always do my teeth at the same time and he will (sometimes) sit on my knee and get the brush. I have to try and protect myself from the jabbing toothbrush with my tongue, but I get to go over his quickly whilst he is distracted.

If I brush his like he brushes mine then no wonder there is a fuss

PussinJimmyChoos Fri 06-Jul-07 23:17:23

Awww at 'tank you'.....how sweet!!

We can't stay cross with them for long can we!

busybaby Fri 06-Jul-07 23:20:38

Distraction does work sometimes and she gets a bit violent with the toohbrush too!

She's just so frustrating because she's so inconsistent - what works for a day or two is no longer good enough after that.

Mung Fri 06-Jul-07 23:23:37

Surely just going through the motions of teeth cleaning is enough to get into the habit of it. I used to get all annoyed and pin DS down to do his, but thats not really going to help. Now I make the most of the times when he'll let me have a good go (oh yes, and he loves the flicking motion and I pretend to be splashed by all the toothpaste) and if I can tell he isn't really up for it then its a quick brush.

busybaby Fri 06-Jul-07 23:29:53

I realise pinning her down isn't going to help - that's why I've asked my question on here. Because most mornings and evenings we go toddling off to the bathroom all keen to clean teeth and when we get there she clamps shut saying 'no'. We don't get into a battle about it anymore, but there is no 'quick brush' with my dd. Most of the time there is no brush - so what I need help with is where to go from here. To be honest if I could do a quick brush I'd be happy.

Jenkeywoo Fri 06-Jul-07 23:36:08

at about this age we let dd choose her own tigger electric toothbrush - that made a really big difference. Now to get her to have teeth cleaned for a decent amount of time she chooses a song every night and I sing it whilst cleaning her teeth! tonight it was '3 little monkies jumping on the bed' you can kind of modify/repeat/add verses until you have been cleaning their teeth for long enough. Good luck, I know how hellish it can be, we've gone through phases where the only good clean she had was a once a week pin-down which was hell but things do get easier - we also let dd choose her own toothpaste - nasty blue sparkly winnie the pooh stuff but it has helped!

busybaby Fri 06-Jul-07 23:43:14

Thank you Jenkeywoo. It is reassuring to hear others have had the same problems and found solutions.
I do think that a 'special shopping trip' is needed and maybe if she chooses it she might do better with it - something I hadn't thought of before.

SpareWheel Mon 09-Jul-07 11:49:12

Jojo Maman Bebe do a really good silicon toothbrush which the kid can hold and use effectively - it's soft all round and has such a big head that TBH if they just suck on it or chew it, it does better than the hard plastic toothbrushes. We got sick pretty quickly of the battle with DD, so now she gets to do "brushing" herself at bathtime and just after breakfast. She drops it all over the place, but only after about 5 mins of chewing on it, which does the trick nicely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now