Talk

Advanced search

SALT thinks ds1 needs therapy for his stammer - what will it involve?

(5 Posts)
Greensleeves Fri 06-Jul-07 13:01:44

DS1 was informally assessed by a SALT today on the instigation of his keyworker (at nursery) because he stammers (he always has done) and also because he can't pronounce certain letters (r, f, th, l, r). She spoke to me when I picked him up and said the letter pronunciation will probably sort itself out, but she wants us to come for a proper assessment at the clinic wrt the stammer, and he will probably need some speech therapy. Has anyone had this? What is it likely to involve and will it upset him? He's very sensitive/self-critical.

nearlythere Fri 06-Jul-07 13:05:45

how old is ds? a lot of kids have stammers and stutters before and around the age of 3-4 years- brain is working faster thgan his mouth literally!

dt1 has a stutter when he gets excited (pretty much permenantly) but we've been told it'll sort itself out over time and nothing needs to be done unless he gets to 7 and hasn't grown out of it!

but there's no harm in going to an asssesment and seeing what they suggest- they can't force you into anything!

Greensleeves Fri 06-Jul-07 13:16:08

he'll be 5 in September. They all keep going on about how articulate he is, but that's not much use if people can't understand what he's saying!

Weegle Fri 06-Jul-07 15:41:32

Our eldest nephew (nearly 6) had a stammer and had speech therapy. A lot of it was teaching him to slow down and giving him your attention so he didn't feel the need to rush and therefore get in a tangle. So he had signs up around the home (which he drew) saying "stop, wait, try again" etc. It was all very straightforward. Anyway that was about 9 months ago and I can't remember hearing him stammer recently. HTH.

Greensleeves Fri 06-Jul-07 16:11:56

Thanks for posting weegle and nearlythere, it helps a lot to have some idea of what to expect. I think the slowing down thing would really help him, maybe I should start doing something like this anyway?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now