Talk

Advanced search

15 months with no speech and little communication

(4 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 19-Feb-19 21:32:29

There's an 18 month checker on talking point. Like I said, lots can change in a very short space of time but if you think there's reason for concern at 28 months I'd push for a referral.

There are also some good, free resources on Talking Point to help improve speech.

Lucy1685 Tue 19-Feb-19 21:19:06

Thanks so much - I hadn’t even heard of the m-Chat so really handy to know that’s there to refer back to if we don’t see any improvement this month. The health visitor said he’d be too young for any kind of speech therapy yet but didn’t give an age so I’m guessing it’s more like 18 months or 2 years depending on the local authority?! Appreciate it’s early days yet though! Will take a look at Talking Point in the mean time. Thanks again smile

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 19-Feb-19 18:48:53

It's really good that you're getting his hearing tested OP.

Talking Point is a really good resource for speech delay. Have a look here.

Once he's 16 months, you can take the m-Chat but don't worry too much about that yet, a lot can change in a month smile

Lucy1685 Tue 19-Feb-19 16:37:50

Eager to hear others’ experiences of similar situations as having quite a freak out at the moment!

My ds (my first) turned 15 months a few days ago and currently has no words at all. He’ll make different pitched sounds and occasionally a single syllable, but none of them in any particular context. He is very content though, smiles and laughs a lot and will join in games such as peek-a-boo, but he’s not particularly social or excited to see new people, and generally prefers to do his own thing with his toys. I wasn’t so worried about the lack of speech previously but now I’m getting to the stage where I don’t believe he understands anything I say to him and I feel like progress has stalled, as I don’t know how he’ll be able to learn language if he doesn’t understand basics such as “no” or “come here” regardless of my tone or hand movements! We read a lot together and he enjoys turning pages and generally engages with the pictures but I’m beginning to think he’s only really taking on the visual input.

He will crawl to me (not walking yet either although he has just started standing) and holds his arms up when he wants picking up, but he doesn’t use any gestures such as waving or pointing to communicate yet. If I leave the room for a while and come back in and call his name he will usually acknowledge it, but if I’m already in the room he doesn’t tend to turn round, almost like a “I know you’re there Mum, why are you calling me?” His newborn hearing test came back fine and I’m not personally concerned about his hearing as he responds to a lot of different types of sound and different volumes, but it’s just not consistent, more like he doesn’t care that I’m calling him at certain times rather than he can’t hear me! He seems to respond more to music so his ears will prick up if I sing to him or if he hears the theme tune to a favourite show (even if it’s several rooms away!) I have contacted my health visitor and he’s being referred for a hearing test as a first stage check but that will be a couple of months before it comes through. I guess at the moment I’m just panicking about the future, but I know I do also have a tendency to over-think things. Really looking to hear from those of you who have come through the other side of this kind of limbo and how things turned out for you. Thanks in advance, everyone.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in