Talk

Advanced search

What age do children generally manage to draw recognisable people?

(24 Posts)
Greensleeves Thu 05-Jul-07 08:30:03

...as in, those delightful slightly wonky but definitely identifiable people with arms and legs and eyes and a mouth? Roughly what sort of age should most children be doing this without help?

throckenholt Thu 05-Jul-07 08:32:38

about 4-5.

hippmummy Thu 05-Jul-07 08:35:13

DS1 recently went for 3-4 yr development check and the Dr asked if him if he could draw a person. I was a bit surprised as I thought it was older too.

He still scribbles and really doesn't draw identifiable shaps. He is four next month.

hippmummy Thu 05-Jul-07 08:35:53

or shapes!

amidaiwish Thu 05-Jul-07 08:38:22

DD1 is 3 and she can draw what you would recognise as a person - head, eyes/mouth, hair, body, legs, arms.

tarantula Thu 05-Jul-07 08:39:22

Depends on the child really Any age from 2 1/2 to 5 is as far as I know normal. Some kids (generally the more physically active ones) dont really get into drawing till later. Way to much like having to sit still

ProfYaffle Thu 05-Jul-07 08:55:04

DD1 is 3.2 and will occasionally draw a recognisable person or dinosaur but largely scribbles.

JARM Thu 05-Jul-07 08:56:39

DD1 is 3 in 3 weeks and can draw a face with eyes, mouth, nose, ears and hair. No body as yet!

She can also draw a circle, triangle and square.

Varies I think in each child.

bozza Thu 05-Jul-07 08:58:08

DD is 3.2 and she draws a head with eyes, nose, mouth, arms and legs. She doesn't yet draw a seperate head and body IYSWIM.

bozza Thu 05-Jul-07 08:59:13

DD can also draw a circle, a X (kiss), and a C (initial letter of her name). I think that's about it.

Flamesparrow Thu 05-Jul-07 09:00:14

DD was drawing freaky

o o

/

type faces from just gone 2 (it was Jacob apparently... and I was sad enough to take a photo of it on the chalkboard ), suddenly started doing bodies etc at about 3.7

throckenholt Thu 05-Jul-07 09:02:24

by the way - since all the other answers seem to be girls - mine related to boys (since I have 3 of them !).

Hulababy Thu 05-Jul-07 09:02:37

DD drew this picture of her daddy at 2y10m. As she got older it has just added a bit more detail or more defined arms, legs and features, etc.

AttilaTheMum Thu 05-Jul-07 09:08:07

I don't know if they still do it but I seem to remember my two doing a development check where they drew a person & they get a score f their age plus points for items like separate neck, hands/fingers etc. Can't really remember when they did it or exactly how ot was scored, but I do remember that DD's person included knees, which wasn't on the score list (she had a thing about knees at the time, probably because she used to land on them so often!)

duchesse Thu 05-Jul-07 09:13:51

I certainly wouldn't expect it before 3. Some children (a few) can manage it sooner, but people at that age are generally giant faces with slightly jumbled features, or circles with hair hovering a little above. Some children add stick arms out of the side of the head. For bodies, hands fingers etc (ie detail) don't expect it before 3.

Flamesparrow Thu 05-Jul-07 09:14:51

Ah, just looked it up - I thought she was younger than she was... she was 2.9

disturbingly proud moment for me...

(It was only just slightly less exciting than the day I called Psychomum to say "She weed on the potty!!!!" )

Hulababy Thu 05-Jul-07 09:22:41

LOL FS, glad I wasn't the only one to have taken a photo of their child's first attempts

Flamesparrow Thu 05-Jul-07 09:28:50

I was being strong and not posting it... then you did so I thought I'd join in

Pruners Thu 05-Jul-07 09:40:18

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Thu 05-Jul-07 09:41:39

Oh Pruners - you mean you don't remember to date them?

I need another child to balance out all this PFB behaviours! LOL

Flamesparrow Thu 05-Jul-07 09:44:52

I only know because its on photobucket from the time it happened (emailed it to my sister... she is sooo much more PFB with DD than I ever was )

fennel Thu 05-Jul-07 15:34:17

My 3.3 year old definitely can't. but Franca's 3.2 year old can do it rather nicely I noticed when I was round there.

My artist friend's children could do it at just 2, but I think they had lots of drawing activity.

DominiConnor Thu 05-Jul-07 15:37:01

I was tested on this stuff at 17. Apparently I hadn't reached the point that a bright 7yo would reach
Never did. Can't draw.

ChasingSquirrels Thu 05-Jul-07 15:38:34

for mine and friends I would have said 3/4, but as with everything there will be examples at each end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now