Talk

Advanced search

Separation anxiety

(4 Posts)
Kkar Tue 05-Feb-19 21:17:59

So this is the first time Iv posted and tonight I have major mum guilt. My 2 yr old boy for the last couple of weeks has been incredibly clingy, throwing tantrums and waking through the night (a lot!). I get this is all normal development. However normally I can put him in his bed and he will take himself off. The last 2 weeks Iv had to sit with him or he will scream and cry. I’m not talking a tantrum I’m talking a proper fretful panicky cry. It’s the same when I drop him off at nursery. A lot has changed the last few months with me having to work full time (or I would have lost my job) a house move, big boy bed, moved up a room at nursery and the biggy... daddy working away Monday to Friday. We don’t have family close by so it’s just me through the week. Tonight Iv lost it. The tantrums got too much, I got full on hit in the face by my boy and I just shouted at him to stop hitting. When things had calmed I explained hitting is not nice and he hurt mummy and we had hugs and made friends. Tonight putting him to bed we did our usual routine and my lb said “mummy leaving” needless to say I’m broken. How can I help him understand that I’m not leaving him 😢😢😢 it’s a long post but need to see the background

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Feb-19 19:33:54

Your ex right to say that separation anxiety is perfectly normal you're right and please don't see it as a tantrum, see it as what it is pure anxiety.

He has had a lot going on. Is your DH able to read to him in the evenings via FaceTime? I've heard this can really help.

Do you think he may be teething too? Their back teeth usually come in between 2 and 2.5 years.

There are some tips on Ask Dr Sears and I'm sorry I can't be of more help thanks

FTmum91 Wed 13-Feb-19 13:38:29

I am currently experiencing something really similar with my son. I recently went back to work full time, he is now 19 months, his dad and I are a couple but do not live together at the moment, he has also started three full days at nursery. I think the majority of it is pure anxiety from all the little changes that we just get on with, and the other half is just them wanting their mumma. Its horrible and breaks my heart when my boy constantly asks for me to pick him up when he knows im off to work but we are doing the best we can for them and their future! Mum guilt is hitting hard daily!

Kkar Tue 19-Feb-19 21:48:17

Thank you. We FaceTime with Daddy morning and night. As it happens tonight he told him to go away and cut him off. Think he’s feeling really upset at the moment. We are still going through the same at the minute but I am managing to now sit out of sight a bit. I guess it just gets overwhelming sometimes

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: