Pronouns - you/me and he/she

(5 Posts)
Lookingforadvice123 Sat 02-Feb-19 22:29:01

Hi all

My DS has just turned 3 and still seems to mix up "you" and "me" eg will say "Mummy give you a cuddle" instead of "Mummy give me a cuddle". It only seems to be certain phrases that he's been saying since he was younger, and it's instead of "me", ie he will always say "this one's for you mummy" correctly.

He also often mixes up he/she although he knows who is a man/lady and a little boy/girl.

He's been using "I" correctly for some time ie "I want weetabix for breakfast etc etc" / "I did a wee" etc etc.

Is this normal? His speech has always been good, he well exceeded the minimum words at his last check (27 months) and speaks in sentences.

OP’s posts: |
TigerQuoll Sun 03-Feb-19 07:07:13

It's probably normal, my cousins used to get object/subject mixed up with pronouns until they were 4 or 5 (eg saying "him gave me a lolly").

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 03-Feb-19 08:29:43

I'm not sure whether it's normal or not but the information provided by Talking Point is usually helpful smile

goldengummybear Sun 03-Feb-19 11:19:25

You just need to model the right speech. His peers at school will correct him if he uses the wrong pronouns.

purpleme12 Thu 07-Feb-19 15:35:05

Well even now at 5 my daughter sometimes mixes up he and she so I really wouldn't worry about it. I don't think it's anything to worry about

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in