3 year old dummy fixation

(6 Posts)
lyssie29 Sat 02-Feb-19 22:27:23

My 3 yr old has recently become more attached to her dummy. For a while it's been bedtime only and I have been lax in trying to get her off it which I regret now. She's started going to get it through the day now too so I've had to hide it. She still asks all the time though but I've got her back to only using it at bedtime. My real issue is to get her to stop using it for bed though. How do I get her off it without her having a total meltdown? Tonight I've let her go to sleep with it but once she was fully asleep I've taken it off her. I'm scared it'll damage her teeth and she's far too old for it anyway. Is there a gentle way to do it to minimize any upset?

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 03-Feb-19 08:27:38

I think you may just have a full melt down in your hands. Could you plan to take it off her when you have a couple of days at home? If the nights go badly, at least you'll be able to rest a little in the day smile

At that age my DS idolised a child who was a bit older. If your DD likes an older child, I'd be talking about what a wonderful big girl/boy they are and how big girls/boys don't have dummies.

lyssie29 Sun 03-Feb-19 09:17:57

@JiltedJohnsJulie thank you. I'm going to just go for it tonight I think. Her older sister was off the dummy before 2 years old but she's ALOT more stubborn. I used a fairy door for my eldest which worked like a charm but my youngest just gets back up out of bed and goes to get her dummy so it doesn't work. I'm afraid like you say I'll just have to ride it out. I've told her this morning that her dummy has gone. She only had one anyway I got rid of all the rest so hopefully at bedtime she will know. Fingers crossed it won't be as bad as I think.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 04-Feb-19 08:11:19

How was she lyssie? smile

lyssie29 Mon 04-Feb-19 08:29:21

@JiltedJohnsJulie you know what she didn't even hardly care! It was only the first night so here's hoping it will continue. I told her the dummy fairy had taken it and she seemed to accept it and only asked for it twice. She took a little longer to get to sleep than normal but no crying or anything. ☺️

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 04-Feb-19 18:05:56

That's great news smile

Let's hope for the same tonight.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in