Talk

Advanced search

Am I DERANGED giving a 14 month old crayons?

(79 Posts)
littlelapin Mon 02-Jul-07 15:48:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nailpolish Mon 02-Jul-07 15:49:09

nah. jsut skip the crayons and go straight to felt pens IMO

hoxtonchick Mon 02-Jul-07 15:49:58

well my dd was very into scribbling by that age, but she's a 2nd child & therefore had access to big brother's pen draw. she quickly became VERY proficient at scribbling on the wall . she's just 2 & adores drawing/painting/sticking etc.

littlelapin Mon 02-Jul-07 15:50:13

RubyRioja Mon 02-Jul-07 15:50:45

Wait for the orange poo!

MatNanPlus Mon 02-Jul-07 15:50:48

Interesting nappies tomorrow then.

If he is happy then no harm.

LadyTophamHatt Mon 02-Jul-07 15:52:09

in a word, yes.

wait until he's at least...oh....12, I 'd say

littlelapin Mon 02-Jul-07 15:52:14

jeremyvile Mon 02-Jul-07 15:54:02

[http://www.tomy.co.uk/products/aqua-draw-standard-bstock/ maybe try this?]

jeremyvile Mon 02-Jul-07 15:54:37

oops

jeremyvile Mon 02-Jul-07 15:55:06

Ah...

musttypefaster!!

chopster Mon 02-Jul-07 15:55:40

so you want your lounge decor redesigned? ANd to be wiping bits of wax off his bottom? And pciking it out of his teeth?

nailpolish Mon 02-Jul-07 15:56:45

crayola do a magic pen thing, where the pens only draw on themagic paper in the pack, thats quite good

but no, my 2 both had crayons from an earlier age that 14mths. i didnt use the cheap wax ones tho, they are a bugger to clean out

nailpolish Mon 02-Jul-07 15:57:36

wiat til you see the shards in the nappy

"so thats where the blue crayon wnet"

littlelapin Mon 02-Jul-07 15:58:33

duchesse Mon 02-Jul-07 15:58:58

My advice- dump that damned book. That series is just designed to make everyone without exception feel inadequate.

Also don't know about your little one, but my oldest could conjure up Trouble from nowhere in roughly 20 seconds, so never left him alone for a moment until he was about 5.

Crayons come in yummy-looking colours. They are non-toxic, so your only concern is choking.

Have you tried amusing him with messy play- putting his hands in bowls of jelly, finger/foot painting using roll of lining paper and finger paints, playing with uncooked rice, etc... All need extensive supervision, and mostly better done outdoors, but v. good fun. Also if you have an outdoors area, pavement chalks - they are also very chunky.

littlelapin Mon 02-Jul-07 16:04:50

duchesse Mon 02-Jul-07 17:01:51

Yep- mine was a climber too. Could evade any form of child restraint, child-proof locking device, and safety measure devised of clever little boffins in their labs. He could undo his car seat at 15 months. He needed supervising all the time. I once found him just in the nick of time, approaching a live socket with two screwdrivers, right up on the second floor of our house in a very little-used room we hadn't thought to child-proof. He was about 26 months old, and I must have been changing his sister's nappy or something...

littlelapin Mon 02-Jul-07 17:04:01

Nemo2007 Mon 02-Jul-07 17:05:53

ohhh LL my godsend for DD1 [18m] at the min is those colour wonder felts by crayola. They only draw on the paper that comes with it. Is usually £4.50 but I found it on offer in asda at £1.24

Nemo2007 Mon 02-Jul-07 17:05:54

ohhh LL my godsend for DD1 [18m] at the min is those colour wonder felts by crayola. They only draw on the paper that comes with it. Is usually £4.50 but I found it on offer in asda at £1.24

lemonaid Mon 02-Jul-07 17:07:08

Ha! From reading your thread title I was going to pop on and say "not if you don't mind his eating them"...

DS is 2.5 and still has the occasional munch -- not sure why as he knows by now that they aren't going to taste good.

IME floor-based crayoning rapidly becomes window-based crayoning of TV screen-based crayoning, so you may want to watch out for that.

Bath crayons for drawing on the side of the bath have been a big hit with DS and so far have remained uneaten.

krabbiepatty Mon 02-Jul-07 17:17:07

Plastic crayons (available at WH Smith and pyramid shaped) are quite hard to eat. I don't understand how they can be made of plastic but there you are. Or those fat wooden pencils with crayon innards are also hard to eat...

littlelapin Mon 02-Jul-07 17:21:04

duchesse Mon 02-Jul-07 17:25:34

He's nearly 14 now, littlelapin, and is delightful. He was a holy terror for the first 6 years, but a constant source of fun, and then just calmed down. Somewhat. As long as he has an endless supply of apples, books, trees and exercise.

Good luck finding somewhere to live on Dartmoor. Is very pretty but a bit too remote for my liking, although places like Moretonhamstead have facilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now