Talk

Advanced search

4yo won't stop grabbing and can't share

(4 Posts)
On3Mor3Try Sun 27-Jan-19 19:16:31

My 4yo DS really struggles with sharing and won't stop grabbing toys out of other children's hands. He becomes very upset very quickly if another child wants the toy he has and often lashes out. Today we were asked to leave his football class because he hit two children. Very stressful and upsetting. I've tried books about sharing, we practice sharing and turn taking at home and we've explained it to him so many times but nothing changes. He was assessed in August last year by a consultant paediatrician who said there's nothing wrong with him after his nursery suggested he was on the autistic spectrum. He is an only child and I'm starting to wonder if he's just a spoiled brat. Over the last few weeks he has been very aggressive towards myself and DH but not with his childminder who takes no nonsense. Any advice/thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
lovely36 Mon 28-Jan-19 20:29:58

I'm a Montessori teacher and by 4 our kids are well aware of mannerism, courtesy etc. That type of behaviour would only be normal at the age of 2. Not 4. At 4 we'll that's just unacceptable behaviour. How do you react or what do you do when he hits/takes a toy?

goldengummybear Mon 28-Jan-19 23:50:09

How's his speech, hearing and sight?

Is he 4 and in school or 4 and in nursery?

MumUnderTheMoon Tue 29-Jan-19 20:52:03

I happen to think that all only children are a bit spoiled, because they don't have to share the most important thing/s in their lives, their parent/s. my dd doesn't have to compete for my time and, no matter how lovely and charming and caring she is, she will always be a little bit spoiled as a result. Just stay firm with him and don't put yourself in a position where you are asked to leave again. Before you go into a space where he has to share take him aside and tell him" you will not snatch from/ hit / etc the other children if you do you will get a warning and after that warning if you do it again I will take you straight home."

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in