I cannot get my toddler to drink anything other than milk!

(9 Posts)
Hairypuppies Wed 16-Jan-19 18:17:28

Hiya

My little girl is 19 mo and I cannot encourage her to drink ANYTHING other than milk

I've tried it all, and I've tried pretty much every kind of cup known to mankind...

She only wants to drink milk

It's not an issue with eating, she's quite good at trying different things and she is still eating her meals so it's not that she's filling up, but she has been really constipated recently and I've no doubt that all the dairy won't be helping.

Have any of you had similar issues, and if so how did you manage to encourage new drinks? I don't know if it's something I should start worrying about, I guess I've never seen the harm in her having lots of milk until the poop troubles stared...

Thanks smile

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 16-Jan-19 18:25:35

Have you tried watering the milk down?

Hairypuppies Wed 16-Jan-19 20:20:22

Yeah I've tried watering down, she notices if it's more than about a quarter water and she won't drink it!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 16-Jan-19 20:24:48

She doesn't actually need much milk, just 300 ml a day. If she wants more, I'd give her something to eat and a small cup of watered down milk smile

BumboBaggins Fri 18-Jan-19 18:12:43

have you tried a plastic glass or cup with a fancy drinking straw in it? My DD (very fussy about anything food or milk related) quite likes drinking straws it would seem and will have the innocent smoothies in a carton which come with a straw because she’s excited about the straw...(she’s almost 3).

I was thinking of something either like this

Curly/Wiggley Drinking Straws 10/Pack (colours/shapes may vary in each pack) www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003NFA3UQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zwHqCbDX1MMAQ?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Or attached

Btw, my DD also suffered with constipation for a long time - movicol type product from doctor did the trick. Didn’t need much. Ironically, mixed it in with her milk to give it to her! Cows milk def constipated her so I had to change back to her formula.

Hairypuppies Fri 18-Jan-19 18:44:49

Thanks! A straw cup might be a good idea 😊

I've tried all kinds of spouts but not yet a straw

The only time I've managed to get her to drink straight water was when she was ill, even on holiday in Florida in the crazy heat she would only take milk...

She has been to docs today and got a prescription to help her poop, but I'm sure getting her taking water or juice would help too 🤞

BumboBaggins Fri 18-Jan-19 19:07:53

Just another thought - could also try just a normal plastic cup (no spout at all). Let your daughter see you drink from it. She might be curious and want to try it out as it’s for “grown ups”. Could just leave it on side for her to pick up (and spill 😆). Maybe let her do some water play with it in kitchen sink / bath. I gave a couple to my DD to play with in the bath and she filled them and was intrigued and started drinking the bath water (I realise....not ideal, but you take my point!).

Also as I said before, maybe something like juice from a carton with straw that doesn’t look anything like her normal drink in a beaker so she doesn’t associate it with the beaker (ie if it’s a beaker, it must be milk). Packaged completely differently, she might view it more as a “food” and be willing to have a go. Offer without pressure. Again maybe let her see you have one. Anything’s worth a go right?!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 19-Jan-19 08:00:12

Are you trying high water foods too like broccoli,cauliflower, soup, melon and jelly? smile

Hairypuppies Sat 19-Jan-19 12:20:39

All great ideas, thanks so much smile

She quite likes soup, she eats vegetables quite well, but not broccoli lol, she just throws it away as soon as she sees it on her plate lol

She particularly likes pasta so I've been 'hiding' veg in the sauce and she hasn't noticed... yet!

She has never tried jelly actually, so I'll make some up for after dinner tonight, I think she'd probably really like it!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in