Talk

Advanced search

Any advice on how to cope with a baby mountaineer?

(10 Posts)
littlelapin Thu 28-Jun-07 12:29:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakybub Thu 28-Jun-07 12:43:28

Message withdrawn

jackie2kids Thu 28-Jun-07 12:43:59

DS was like this. I caught him climbing onto the TV once. Didn't let him out of my sight til commonsence crept in (about 2.5).

squeakybub Thu 28-Jun-07 12:46:51

Message withdrawn

Marne Thu 28-Jun-07 12:50:52

Dd2 has been climbing for a few months now, our computer deask is next to the sofa so she likes to climb up onto the computer desk and tap away on the keyboard , she often falls down the gap between the sofa and desk and then gets stuck.

The other day she fell between the sofa and the travel cot and was wedged in there so tight it took me 10 min to get her out

christywhisty Thu 28-Jun-07 12:55:10

I had 2 mountain climbers, actually found DD on top of the microwave getting things off the top of the kitchen cupboards.
DS used to drag a box around with him to climb on to reach higher places.
Can't remember the solution but they do grow out of it eventually

Weegle Thu 28-Jun-07 12:55:32

Ds is 12 months and this is him too. I found him having climbed from floor to toy box to chair to windowsill to top of telly. My heart nearly stopped I was so shocked! I have decided this is him, it's in his nature (I scaled the garden fence at 2 apparently) so I've been taking the approach of teaching him how to get down safely. He was launching himself head first from any height. With a lot of perseverance he now understands "backwards" and he turns around and climbs down backwards. Obviously I'm not advocating he is allowed to climb everywhere but by teaching him this and a little reorganisation of the lounge I feel safe leaving the room for a few minutes as the highest he can get is the arms of the sofas and I know he is fully capable of getting off these safely now. Good luck! I'm sure we're in for some scary times ahead of us!

bigmouthstrikesagain Thu 28-Jun-07 13:06:25

My DD has started this phase (she is 14m) - bedtime is a nightmare as she is climbing all over ds (2.10yr) bed then table then window sill, and stands up waving hands and screaming as she is so proud of her acheivement. Not very relaxing for ds and stressy for me!

She fell out of french doors today and has a horrible bump and scrape over left eye - basically I contain her as much as possible and keep her in ear/eyeshot as much as poss. But have accepted that she is going to fall off stuff - Ds survived .... just hope I will

Much sympathy - but probably not a lot of help here

littlelapin Thu 28-Jun-07 14:07:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mintchips Thu 28-Jun-07 16:30:33

my ds is 17 months and climbs on everything luckily he hasn't fallen or hurt himself yet altho I think its just a matter of time as he's getting more daring!

I use the penning in method too, have a travel cot set up in living room with toys in that I put him in if I need to- quite often when I'm cooking and can't watch him and also his other trick is to turn off the hob/oven and open the door. He doesn't like it but like littlelapin says at least he's safe.

Sure it won't be long before he manages to climb out tho...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: