Talk

Advanced search

Wriggling fingers

(6 Posts)
gerrard08 Wed 02-Jan-19 13:48:14

Hello. I have one year old IVF twin boys, born at 37 weeks in December origional due date was Jan 3rd. They are both fantastic little boys always happy, smiling and laughing and coming along great.

One of the boys is slightly behind his brother but not too far. He is so laid back always chirpy always smiling back at us
He does get excited and wriggles his arms and legs, lately he has been wriggling his fingers lots lately, now I know this is normal toddler behaviour but sister In law who mentioned the wriggling could be sign of autism. Since then I’ve been researching everything about it. However I can’t seem to relate to any common signs just the finger wriggling. It’s not twirling, can’t say it’s flapping it’s more opening and closing fingers. Just seems people are so quick to point to autism nowadays.... and not a typical baby’s behaviour :-(

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 02-Jan-19 18:41:21

I think you SIl has been a little unkind. Unless she’s a Paeditrician, I’d completely ignore the comment.

Right now your main focus shoukd be all of those newborn snuggles, feeding and changing them helps too, or so I’m told grin

Congratulations on what sound like two beautiful boys thanks

Witchend Wed 02-Jan-19 19:11:39

Wriggling fingers is entirely part of normal development. In fact it was even mentioned in the baby books as a developmental step when dd1 was little.

If he's flapping at 5/6yo then, in conjunction with other, more major, signs, it could be a sign of a sensory stim which in some cases can be one sign of autism. Flapping is perfectly normal at younger ages.

gerrard08 Wed 02-Jan-19 19:44:19

Thank you. She seems to like her children to be checked for this that and the other. Our boys turned one and seem perfectly fine to me and my partner but when someone puts a doubt in your head... it does put the brain into overdrive

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 02-Jan-19 20:16:11

Really sorry, I completely misread and thought they were newborn blush

If it concerns you at all, you can do the m-chat once they are 16 months.

AladdinMum Thu 03-Jan-19 10:05:44

basically what Witchend said; totally normal at this age, would be concerning in older infants.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in