Talk

Advanced search

looking in mirrors - explanation

(7 Posts)
time4tea Wed 27-Jun-07 16:21:10

my DS1 (3yrs 3 months) loves looking at himself in the mirror at nursery - with hood up/down, variety of hats, apparently up to 15 mins at a time according to carers. he's there 2 days a week, we don't have many mirrors at home, only one in the bathroom.

he's obviously keen on trying out expressions, seeing how he looks etc, and I don't see any harm in it, and was thinking of getting a shatterproof mirror for an accessible place for him.

but wondered if there was a specific developmental reason for this, or whether this is normal, and just to see what other children do.... what do you think?

southeastastra Wed 27-Jun-07 16:22:35

sounds like a typical man to me

Pitchounette Wed 27-Jun-07 16:28:45

Message withdrawn

time4tea Wed 27-Jun-07 16:32:05

exactly - trying out dance moves - the homage to Pulp Fiction boogie in Antz in the oven door window checking out his cute bare bottom in the tv screen when its off

suedonim Wed 27-Jun-07 16:47:06

Ds1 was fascinated by mirrors. If he disappeared in a clothes shop you'd always find him by the nearest mirror. He's grown up now and still can't resist admiring himself in any reflective surface. I don't think it's anything to worry about as long as it's not all a child does.

Flower3554 Thu 28-Jun-07 09:21:41

I think this a development thing. Until children are aged between 2-3 they don't realise that their reflection is actually them.

Once they do twig, mirrors become fascinating to them.

I was told that to test if your child is at this stage you can sneak a smudge of chocolate or jam on their forehead.

They will either try to rub it off their skin or off the mirror depending on what stage they are at.

LadyVictoriaOfCake Thu 28-Jun-07 09:23:16

mirrors are fab. the other day in a sports shop, dd1+2 (age 7 and 4) decided to practising their dancing when i was shopping. kept them out of other shopp[ers way and i knew where they were.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now