Why haven't I been doing this forever?

(4 Posts)
MumUnderTheMoon Tue 20-Nov-18 21:36:33

My dd is 11 and hates it when I tell her it's time to do something that she doesn't want to. She is autistic and will throw a bit of a strop stamping her feet or becoming very distressed, neither of which gets her,her way but can be very draining to deal with. But the day before yesterday I had a lightbulb moment (pun intended). This week I treated the house to some smart colour changing light bulbs and I've set them to different colours for when it's time to do different things! So, I'm not telling her what to and she can't argue with a lightbulb and she just does what she needs to. I wish I had thought of this sooner!!

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 20-Nov-18 21:53:15

What a great idea. Glad you e found something that’s working smile

Silversun83 Mon 26-Nov-18 17:21:10

grin Slightly different but my DD is a very stubborn and stroppy 2.5 year old and for the past few months I've been using Alexa to do my dirty work grin So, say we're upstairs playing and we need to go downstairs for lunch, in front of DD, I'll ask Alexa to set a timer for 5 minutes and tell DD that when they timer goes off, we need to go downstairs. I'll remind DD a few times in that five minutes and ask her what we need to do when Alexa beeps, and she'll enthusiastically say "Go downstairs!".. Most of the time it works grin Not sure why Alexa can be listened to but not me.. Could be an alternative?!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 26-Nov-18 18:36:24

SIlver that is genius grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in