Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got any experience with 5 year old struggling to write / possible hypermobility?

(2 Posts)
dodi1978 Sat 17-Nov-18 22:42:34

Hi

I'd like to seek your opinions on my five year old DS (summer born and now year 1). He is doing fine in school on the whole - well behaved, has found friends, doing well in reading and numeracy.

Our one problem is writing - the physical side of it. He has never really done any colouring in etc., and getting him to draw / write anything is a real struggle. If he does write, it is often illegible, with letters tumbling all over each other. And whilst the theoretically knows how the letters are formed (i.e. where the tail goes on the a, etc.), he struggles to get it on paper.

At the last teacher's evening, his class teacher suggested possible hypermobility, based on the fact that he seems quite flexible. She also asked us to have his ears and eyes tested. This will all happen next week - Tuesday to the GP for ears and to ask about hypermobiliity, next Saturday for an eye test at the opticians.
I am just wondering... does anyone have any experience with similar issues? Did your little people eventually catch up?

Just for context re general physical skills. He can swim, but only doggy style with his head held up high. When we recently booked a private swimming lesson for him, the teacher suggested that he generally lacks balance and asked whether he is riding a bike. Well, he isn't - another area in which we are really struggling. Generally, his fine motor skills aren't great - his 2 year old brother uses a knife and fork better than him...

Anyway, sorry for the essay - any insights would be welcome!

OP’s posts: |
corythatwas Mon 19-Nov-18 09:28:10

Both mine have hypermobility and so, I suspect do I, though never diagnosed. Apart from struggling to hold a pen etc, lack of balance and problems with proprioception (knowing where your limbs are) is typical.

We all got there in the end, insofar as we can all read and write, and ds and I can ride a bike (though not dd); we're all good swimmers (though I hold my head up high, never caused me any problems). It takes longer, and it's also worth being aware that a lot of everyday movements can result in short-term or long-term pain, so the child may need extra support in doing things in a way that works for them. A child may not necessarily realise that being in pain all the time is not normal, so refusal to do certain tasks may come across as stubbornness.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in