8 year old tries too hard

(4 Posts)
Amaried Sat 20-Oct-18 18:35:22

Hi all

Hoping someone can give me some advice as to how to deal with my son.
I've always noticed that he has struggled a bit with friendships and after observing him I think the reason is that he comes on too strong, he makes unfunny jokes, asks silly questions etc. no other issues really, he's a good average at school and decent at sports even though I notice that lots of kids don't pass to him .. how can I help him relax a little and to read social queues better?

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Amaried Sun 21-Oct-18 08:21:44

Hopeful bump for the morning crowd

FTMF30 Sun 21-Oct-18 18:50:45

I'd say at 8 years old he could understand if you were to give him some tips and gentle feedback.
I think more emphasis on the tips and less on the feedback would be most helpful as you have to be careful not to hurt his feelings. Maybe suggest better jokes and jokingly tell him his jokes are rubbish. It's all about tone when giving the feedback I guess.
Does he have any hobbies where he could join a club and make friends with children via having a shared interest?
Not really sure what else to suggest but I'd say be careful to protect his character in your efforts. He sounds like a sweet little boy.

Amaried Sun 21-Oct-18 22:32:03

Thanks ftm,, I think your right. He is a sweet child, probably a little innocent versus his more street wise peers and I just want him to be happy.. going to start giving him gentle feedback and hope that helps without crushing his feelings..

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in