4 year old - dread the school pick up!

(8 Posts)
user1495827045 Tue 09-Oct-18 13:45:49

My son is 4 and has been attending school for 5 weeks now in reception. I absolutely dread the pick ups as he comes out so tired and ridiculously moody! He suffers from epic tantrums. Last Thursday he plonked himself on the floor crying and saying he was too tired to walk! We've been giving him early bedtime and he has been sleeping through so getting at least 13 hours!! I've tried sweets to give him a bit of energy/perk him up but even then he eats these and then moans and cries straight after and refuses other snacks. I find it so embarrassing as no one else's child seems to behave like this after school? Does it get better?!?! Anyone else have the same and got any tips? I've stopped asking him questions until he says he is ready to talk so he can decompress. I just wish he was happier afterwards x

OP’s posts: |
NationalShiteDay Wed 10-Oct-18 10:55:13

I feel your prob OP. Similar here, full emotional explosions in the playground after school. Tbh I've seen most of the kids do it.

I've found getting them home ASAP and giving them a healthy snack and some space has helped. Also going to the playground straight from school to let out some of their energy. Hoping it's just a phase

SeaToSki Wed 10-Oct-18 11:06:41

Poor thing is probably exhausted, emotionally and physically. Can you collect him with a stroller? Then he can just jump in, eat a snack and snuggle with a fuzzy friend (or something) for the walk home. I used to have my dc’s comfort items in the car for the first few months of school. They would jump in and zone out for the drive home. The key is to not talk to them until they have recovered a bit and then make sure they have an easy dinner and regular bed time. In a few months he will have built up his stamina and be better

JKCR2017 Wed 10-Oct-18 21:38:30

Bless him. My son used to be like this too (even on the odd occasion now and he’s 7). DD also gets like it after a 3 hour session at pre school. She gets so tired..

Do you drive? Can you pick him up in the at. My children’s school is barely half a mile from my home but I often drive so I can get them straight in the car and get home as the walk home is a nightmare if DD is tired.

Your son is still so little and school is so new to him as well. I know how you feel about being embarrassed by their behaviour but I am certain no one is judging you.

Good luck 😊

melin Thu 11-Oct-18 14:19:19

My ds was just the same. We always took a snack, used the buggy board or a scooter to get him home.

It gets better

anothermnname Sat 13-Oct-18 16:03:13

My daughter is the same and I must admit I do drive sometimes when I don't need to (normally on a Friday afternoon), snack on pick up and a scooter always helps as she struggles with 15 minute walk otherwise!

EvieV28 Tue 16-Oct-18 16:12:00

My 7 year old can be like this after school! I usually bring a snack and drink, it does help. I remember reading somewhere that children have to suppress emotion during the school day and then it all comes out by the end of it as outbursts.

WeAreStars Tue 16-Oct-18 18:26:28

I have no advice but just wanted to say you're not alone. My daughter started reception in September and has had at least one tantrum if not more most days on the way home from school. Like you I find it embarrassing, everyone else's child seems to be just fine!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in