Talk

Advanced search

My 3yo has been wetting the bed at night? Unsure of the reason why yet...

(4 Posts)
Sammy900 Mon 08-Oct-18 17:33:08

Hi mnetters

My dd is 3 she has been using the toilet since she was 2, hasn't used a potty for months and months and used to regularly sleep through the night or get up to use the toilet with no issues....

From around 3 months ago-ish for one reason or another we have allowed her to sleep in our bed, for a couple of nights my o/h was away so I let her sleep with me...and then she was poorly so again came in and did on the odd night that she had wet the bed (back then), etc - totally our fault but also she's only a tot and thus far we haven't had to be particularly rigid or strict with our parenting styles - no behavioural issues normally or anything.

Just lately she has been wetting the bed every night and comes in crying saying the bed is wet and can she stay in our bed. I think it's learned behaviour and we probably haven't dealt with it at all well but because it's 3am and both completely shattered it's hard to deal with it properly!! She flipping takes over the bed too lying side ways and spreading out as they do - me and O/H are getting more and more sleep deprived and dd is now starting to be more difficult to put to bed at night too!!

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you manage to deal with it.....should I do the whole - no attention, pick her up and change the sheets as calmly as poss and put her back in her own bed - I'll be zombie-brained anyway if half asleep, I just hope it doesn't fully wake me up!

Help, tips and advice appreciated

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 08-Oct-18 19:20:04

I’d try giving her lots of drinks in the morning and early afternoon but nothing to drink after 5 pm. Make sure she sits on the toilet before her bath, after her bath and before bed. Leave a potty in her bedroom and tell her that if she needs a Wee, she’s allowed to get out of bed and use the potty.

I would change her and the bed and put her back to bed without much fuss as you say. It might be hard for a few nights though.

Try to give her lots of extra hugs and praise in the daytime too to make up for the contact she’s been having at night.

Sammy900 Mon 08-Oct-18 23:31:29

Thank you JiltedJohnsJulie

She has gone down well tonight fingers crossed - I made sure she just had sips of water about an hour before bed - no late afternoon naps and she has a nice little night light in her room...took down the big black out curtains. She is a very cuddly little lady and has loads of hugs and attention all day, anyway but yes see what you mean -thanks for the tip. She had a big wee before bed and my o/h helped her to the toilet again about 20 mins ago. Fingers crossed for later tonight!

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 09-Oct-18 19:48:14

How did the rest of the night go? Any joy? smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in