Naked in front of kids

(10 Posts)
laraloo92 Tue 25-Sep-18 11:20:05

What age do you stop being naked around your kids ??

OP’s posts: |
laraloo92 Tue 25-Sep-18 11:21:17

My son is 5 and I still have a bath in front of him and never really though anything of it until I was just watching this morning 😂

OP’s posts: |
BeeMyBaby Tue 25-Sep-18 15:47:38

About 3yo? When there is no longer a need to have a shower with them I guess as they no longer demand to follow you everywhere. On the other hand my DH has never let our children see him naked as in his culture is it not ever acceptable. If you don't have an issue with it then I don't think there is a problem, I guess it's up to what you are comfortable with.

starpatch Mon 01-Oct-18 21:29:17

I have been wondering this same thing. Mine's six and I am starting to phase it out. IE I try to change in private if it's practical but I don't lock the door or worry if DS comes in.

chocolatemuppet Tue 02-Oct-18 07:38:50

I don't think there's necessarily a right answer to this. It's more what feels right did you. My dad used to wander round naked till we were in our teens - the whole hippy / nature thing - but it made us really uncomfortable.

I stopped not long after mine were toddlers - think his "liberal" view made me go the other way.

NeeChee Fri 05-Oct-18 09:32:49

My partner will walk around naked at times when getting changed or getting in the bath, and has baths with the door open. He doesn't make any changes when his son is here. He's now 11, and DC has always been private himself.
I myself get changed in private as its a bit different when it's not your own child, and they're the opposite gender. I'll briefly walk around in pants and bra, but never naked.

Oysterbabe Fri 05-Oct-18 15:05:03

Maybe when they stop insisting on following us everywhere.

Geknock Sat 06-Oct-18 17:10:21

My dad used to take me swimming and we'd change in the men's changing room in a big communal area and I think I must have been six at the time. My mum however has been naked around me thought my whole life.

alwaysstressed Tue 09-Oct-18 08:40:37

My ds is 8 and I don't care that he sees me naked, he doesn't seem to care either.
Isn't it good for kids to see what a normal naked body looks like

JamieSmith123 Sun 27-Jan-19 03:19:35

This is a never ending theme and there is so much conflicting stuff around, I decided to present our experience, which might surprise you. There is no one right way.
I think the whole concept of “modesty” is totally culture defined and trained – women in the Victorian age would have been horrified if somebody saw there naked lower legs while at the beach, women today in Syria feel immodest without a headscarf and tribes in the Amazon river basin probably do not have a word for it.
I think “modesty” is a camouflaged word for “trained shame” anyway. Here is our story:
1997 my husband and I moved into a house with a totally secluded backyard with a deck and pool. Being young and in love we never felt a need to wear clothes when relaxing in the back and became nudists by choice and then the love of it. (Who wants to sit around in wet bathing gear?)
When our two daughters were born we did not change anything and I never felt that they were uncomfortable with our family nudity. (We also told them that this is only appropriate in our backyard and we are not walking around in the nude in the house all the time).
Over the years we found two other couples with kids that also enjoy our backyard paradise. I did not see any concerns with my daughters – not more than if they had met these people any other way.
(Of course we were meeting them for barbecues and other events for months before we finally hopped into the pool in our birthday suit).
The funny thing is that our daughters did exactly the same with their friends. We have seen “all naked” groups, groups where maybe one or two of them did not join, and “100% clothed” groups. (All have been girls though - at least until they were about 17. And all have accepted me and my husband, too.
(We never imposed our presence upon them, but always asked if we could join them in the pool).
Another funny thing: We never faced any questions from other parents or teachers in school although I cannot believe that this could have stayed a total secret all these years. (Writing this I do now remember now that I also knew a kid in school that claimed that they were often naked at home, which amazed me then, but never went “viral” ( there also was no word “viral” back then).
I think it’s all more about trust and normality than shame or “modesty”.
Now that our daughters are off to college, (and have not become under age pregnant because of a loose life style) we still have two friends OF OUR DAUGHTERS that occasionally join us to relax in our backyard paradise, regardless if our daughters are on summer break or not. They say they don’t feel anywhere more relaxed than here.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in