2 year old scratching girly bits in bath

(13 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Sun 16-Sep-18 11:52:35

My dd is 27 months and she does suffer with eczema in other places and does have an issue with scratching but normally her 'woo woo' is ok. But lately she has started grabbing at it and scratching it while she's in the bath. Sometimes at nappy changes as well but less often. She doesn't try and scratch it when her nappy is on and it doesn't bother her all day, apart from when it's exposed it seems. She is really making it sore but I'm confused as to why she's doing it. It can't be itchy all the time as she would be at it all day if it was. If we hold off the baths for a while it gets totally better but then as soon as she's in the bath again she grabs and scratches it raw!
She was treated for worms a week ago but I'm not sure if it's related or not.
Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Sun 16-Sep-18 12:01:48

i would try putting www.sudocrem.co.uk/home on. it hopefully will help sooth it, and so she may stop scratching

all the best x

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 16-Sep-18 12:07:08

Thanks, we put bepanthen on her at every nappy change but can't use sudacrem as it seems to make it worse. I'll try putting it on straight before bath and see if it helps though.

thethoughtfox Sun 16-Sep-18 13:29:16

Consider using the proper terms with your child.

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 16-Sep-18 13:37:19

Never met a two year old who calls their vagina a vagina but thanks for the input, I'm sure it will help with her itching. 🙄
Can we stick to the topic in hand now please?

BarbarianMum Sun 16-Sep-18 18:38:02

Well worms can certainly make you itch down there. Any improvement after treatment? Any sign of thrush?

Sudacrem stings like fuck. If its a nappy rash related thing then metanium is excellent.

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 16-Sep-18 18:46:15

Definitely not nappy rash as its normally fine down there if she doesn't grab it. Only hurts her if she's actually scratched it. It's bizarre. No improvement after treatment particularly. I'm starting to wonder if it's habitual... Not sure if it thrush but might try some mild canesten just in case.

BarbarianMum Sun 16-Sep-18 21:54:51

Are you using any bubble bath or bath products that could be irritating her skin?

Merename Mon 17-Sep-18 11:33:00

My 2yr old calls it a vagina! Why not. Anyway, have you discussed it with gp? I wouldn’t be inclined to use anything like canesten without being sure it’s what she’s needs. It’s definitely normal for girls this age to touch their vagina, especially when it’s uncovered, but the scratching raw sounds like something different going on.

OhWhatAPalaver Mon 17-Sep-18 12:46:16

Haha fair enough Mere. Doesn't matter what they call it really does it.

No bath products that could irritate, I have wondered if it's residue of cleaning products that's causing it but we use fairly gentle stuff anyway so who knows.

Just out of interest, why wouldn't you try canesten? I took my eldest to the drs because she had a bit of thrush a while ago the gp prescribed her 3 tubes of the stuff! She was 5 at the time. I thought it was fairly harmless stuff?

BarbarianMum Mon 17-Sep-18 17:19:09

Your dd may call it a vagina mere but what it actually is is a vulva.

Merename Mon 17-Sep-18 18:01:36

Alright *@BarbarianMum*, ill tell her, she’ll be so embarrassed she’s been getting it wrong all this time hmm

*@OhWhatAPalaver*, I suppose my caution is because pharmacies are so reluctant to sell it to pregnant women, so their must be a need for caution, and in general, I’d avoid giving any medications unless I’m sure it’s necessary.

Another thing id say with you mentioning cleaning product residue - id never put any shower gel etc near a vagina, mine or dd’s, id only wash with water. I thought this was what everyone did though until my sister brought it up after getting a bout of thrush and gp told her only to use water - she thought I was rank and did a straw poll of friends, so I know plenty people think it’s fine to use products! Maybe worth stopping though as a trial and sticking to water?

OhWhatAPalaver Tue 18-Sep-18 09:05:43

We don't use any shower gel or anything in the bath other than her weleda shampoo. I meant cleaning products like what you clean the bath with, we use method so supposed to be natural and gentle. So unless the mil has been bleaching it again without me knowing I'm lost! grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in