9 month old suddenly scared of Hoover

(5 Posts)
Tiptopj Sun 09-Sep-18 14:40:47

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm just after some advice on how best to deal with this. In the last couple of weeks my nearly 9 month old has suddenly become very afraid of the Hoover- he starts crying and looks very frightened. He also acts like this with the blender and the steam mop.
This is a sudden change, as a new born he used to fall asleep to the Hoover and I've always used it around him without any reaction from him.

Can anyone advise on how I should react to him when he starts crying? I appreciate it's likely to be just a development stage and he will probably grow out of it but for the time being should I:

* leave him be and carry on hoovering whilst smiling acting happy nothing to be scared of etc or could this make it worse as I'm effectively leaving him upset
Or
* keep stopping occasionally to reassure him or is this confirming that there's something to be scared of?

Any advice appreciated thank you

OP’s posts: |
xamyrose Sun 09-Sep-18 16:36:28

My DD who is 16 months is the same 😫

GenericUsername101 Mon 10-Sep-18 10:43:48

My DS is the same, he used to be fine with the vacuum etc but now cries when it starts, same with the blender. He's almost 10 months but it started a while ago, I carry him while I vacuum which helps, not sure if you can do that with yours, or try putting in the high chair?

Tiptopj Mon 10-Sep-18 22:39:52

The high chair is a good idea thanks. Although I think my only option really is to take him out for the day and get someone else to Hoover for me grin

OP’s posts: |
GenericUsername101 Tue 11-Sep-18 10:40:28

That's an even better idea :-D

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in